iPhone Keep unlock while upgrading jailbroken iphone from iOS 4.1 to 5.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jonsn0w, Apr 27, 2013.

1. jonsn0w macrumors newbie

I have a jailbroken, unlocked 3GS running iOS 4.1. The baseband is 06.15.00, which I want to keep. I'd like to upgrade to iOS 5.1.1 without losing the untethered jailbreak and (non-carrier) unlock, assuming that's possible.

Would I be able to achieve this using redsn0w, or should I use something else?
    Is it sufficient to have the SHSH blob listed in Cydia, or do I need to save them to the pc?
    If I need to unlock in a separate procedure, what are the steps for that?

I've backed up my phone files, verified that I have 5.1.1 SHSH blob saved in Cydia, downloaded the appropriate 5.1.1 ipsw file from this list, and installed redsn0w.

I'm not sure which tutorial to follow from here...:confused:

2. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Use red snow to downgrade baseband to an unlockable one, then build a custom firmware to preserve that baseband

3. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

I believe you need to downgrade the baseband before updating the firmware

4. jonsn0w thread starter macrumors newbie

Pardon the delayed response. I've finally had some time to read up on this and have more questions. Bear with me, I'm still learning. Am I on the right track?

1. Use redsn0w 0.9.15b2 to downgrade baseband to 5.13.04 (I plan to follow this tutorial)

-After completing baseband downgrade, how do I re-unlock and jailbreak? Does it matter which is done first?
    -Do I need to look for a tutorial specifically for untethered jailbreak, or is there an option to choose untethered in redsn0w?
    -I currently have ultrasn0w installed. Would that still be there after the bb downgrade?

Is that done by clicking Create Custom IPSW button in redsn0w, and then selecting the iPhone2,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw file? If not, could you clarify further?

Once the firmware is updated and the JB & unlock is done, do I use redsn0w again to get back to the 6.15.00 baseband - or does this need to be done in an earlier step?

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Additional phone info:
    -new bootrom 359.3.2

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

6. jonsn0w thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the same tutorial I linked in my post. Thanks anyway. I'm glad I got that part right, at least.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

It works if you follow the instructions correctly.
    You have to re-flash the iPad baseband
    You have to use the older version of Redsn0w as the details in the tutorial show - the newer versions of Redsn0w will not work.
    You run the downgrade procedure until it works.

Hundreds of thousands have successfully used this procedure to downgrade.