Keep Verizon unlimited by putting old SIM into 6+ before activating?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DisneyFreak777, Sep 15, 2014.

1. DisneyFreak777 macrumors newbie

Is it possible that I can save my unlimited data by putting the old SIM from my current iPhone 5 into my iPhone 6+ before I even turn it on and activate it? Could this possibly work like the Best Buy Method?

I bought the 6+ through Apple, and had to pick to go 2 GB a month and kill unlimited, but I was just wondering if anyone knows any workaround that could keep me on? I'm willing to try anything, since I've confirmed with reps that I can just let them know I want the Verizon Max 6 GB/mo for $30 plan up to 60 days after I activate the phone. So if I mess up, no big deal. Any ideas?

2. dfran1 macrumors regular

I posted this in the other thread , but that 6gb is family or single? for 30. if family please tell me more!!

3. cnotes2019 Suspended

It's individual

4. DisneyFreak777 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

The iPhone 6 uses a nano sim the iPhone 5 uses a micro sim, you can't swap.

6. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Umm

Incorrect. To the OP: Yes, it should work.

7. PaythePiper macrumors member

so my question would be- would you even have to activate the 6 if you put an already in use sim into the phone?

8. ilkevinli macrumors 6502

ilkevinli

No. You can't for this to work.

9. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

Oops. :eek: :)

10. RianFlynn macrumors regular

RianFlynn

I have an HTC one m8 on Verizon. The HTC one uses a nano Sim, but because it has nfc, Verizon uses a special Sim card. I'm guessing it won't work.

11. HolyGrail macrumors 6502

HolyGrail

I was wondering the same thing. When I preordered my iPhone 6 for whatever reason it and the sim are showing a different phone number then the one I have service on. Don't have a clue to as why. So I had customer service send me a iPhone 6 sim card with my correct number and current plan. Tracking shows it will be here wednesday. So I'll pop that bad boy in on friday and see what happens. If it doesn't work, it will be max for me. ;)

12. ilkevinli macrumors 6502

ilkevinli

It's not really "speacial". It will work fine in the iphone.

13. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

14. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I have unlimited but I had a galaxy s4 so I couldn't switch sim cards. I just called up verizon and they switched the phone to my unlimited plan. No problems and for everyone saying I have to keep the 30$ data plan on my dumb phone line well he took it off.

15. Civicsixxx macrumors member

Yes, this worked for me. I ordered an iPhone 6 on my wife's line (TDP) and when it came yesterday, I popped in my SIM from my iPhone 5 (UDP) and it worked immediately. The account still shows unlimited data for my line.

Although, I believe the iPhone 6 needs a newer SIM to use NFC (that's how I stumbled upon this thread :) )

When I log into my VZW account there is an option to order a 'NFC SIM'. I am going to try that. I would assume that issuing a new SIM wound't make any changes to the account.

16. justinnn macrumors newbie

Hi! Quick question for you. When you turn the iphone on, doesn't it say

"Confirm your phone number:
    xxx - xxx - xxxx
    This phone number should match the one you provided when purchasing..."

and then asks for you billing zip & last 4 SSN??? Did you put your wife's and it activated for you line since your SIM is in?

17. Civicsixxx macrumors member

Nope, I never received a message like that. I popped my SIM in (make sure you don't turn the phone on AT ALL with the SIM it ships with) and it was activated to my line.

I should also mention when I pre-ordered it asked if I wanted to use my current SIM or a new one and I selected the option to use my old one.

18. Stefanodante macrumors newbie

So where did you order the iPhone at that gave you that option to purchase with old SIM card??