iPad Keep waiting or buy it now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kaye Star, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Kaye Star macrumors newbie

Kaye Star

Long story short, I've wanted an iPad of my own ever since my high school began giving them to students (I had it for two years before I graduated). Now, I'm finally able to buy one. If I choose now, I could have it before February is over.

However, I keep seeing so many articles about how Apple is supposed to release an upgraded iPad Air in autumn of this year. Now, I'm not sure whether to buy an Air now or wait until autumn. I waited for two years to finally be able to have my own and I'm not sure I can wait another 8-9 months, but if it is true (I've only found rumors, not confirmation), I would rather have the upgraded one. It'd be an easier decision to make if I could find proof.

I know there are rumors of a 12.9-inch iPad Pro, but that's too big for me, so this would definitely be my last "wait". I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth it to wait?

2. Miguel760 macrumors member

3. puma1552 macrumors 601

I'd wait, the iPad Air 2 will be to the iPad Air as the iPad 4 is to the iPad 3…in other words, the Air 2 will be the one you want that will last a long time since it will likely have 2 GB RAM.

4. Americasteam macrumors member

Come autumn, you'll be wondering whether you should wait until next year. I just purchased my Air this week because I wanted to enjoy it now. If the next hardware is worthy of an upgrade, I'll sell my Air and purchase the new one.

5. Kaye Star thread starter macrumors newbie

Kaye Star

I'd actually just give it to my younger sister. I know she'd love it.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Nobody knows when the new iPad will be released, much less that it will have 2GB of ram.

----------

OP,
    If you want an iPad, get one. There is always going to be a newer product released.

7. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

There is no easy answer to this because you are dealing with a number of unknowns. For example, (1) you don't know when Apple will release their next iPad - though one can make a reasonable guess based on past history; (2) you don't know what enhancements Apple will introduce in their next version of the iPad - will be the touch sensor or will it be 2GB of RAM or will it both or will it be something else or will it be a combination of various things.

Given this, perhaps the question to which you may have ready answer is this: Do you need the iPad now? If yes, then your choice is pretty obvious isn't it?

8. Kaye Star thread starter macrumors newbie

Kaye Star

The answer is no. I do not NEED the iPad. I WANT it. It's not a necessity.

9. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

There will always be a rumored upgrade around the corner. May as well buy now. Odds are it will be just as useful to you as any potential upgrade will.

10. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Buy now, on sale at Best Buy. The 32gb Wifi Air is a great deal right now.

11. Rodster macrumors 68040

What's better than $75 off a 32GB Air? When you have an additional $115 in rewards certicates and gift card. :D

I'm tempted by the new Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro's.

12. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

Then consider getting it at a place where you can get a discount - like some of the posters here have reported at Bestbuy.

13. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I bought a mini iPad a few months after it came out. As a result, I ended up upgrading it to the retina in less than a year. Nonetheless I used it a great deal during that time, and I'm glad I got it.

14. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

I did the same thing, albeit with an iPad4 and the iPad Air - though I bought the iPad 4 just 6 months back. Happier with the Air for a variety of reasons.

15. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

Just buy one, sell it when a newer model comes out you like better.

Your going to be waiting a long time for the perfect device if you don't ever buy one.

Myself, I buy every other model year.

16. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

The only reason to wait 6 months is if there is an expectation that the new model will resolve some issue you have the current model. If you like the current, get the current.

17. Kaye Star thread starter macrumors newbie

Kaye Star

Thanks for the answers, everyone.

I found a very good deal, so I've decided I'm going to purchase it this week. If I decide the iPad Air 2 is worth buying, I'll give the first one to my sister or my best friend. If neither of them want it, I'll sell it.

18. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

Refurbs should be hitting the Apple store soon. You could hold out for those.

19. Kaye Star thread starter macrumors newbie

Kaye Star

I'm kind of new to the Apple store. What does refurbished mean?

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It means that an item has been returned to Apple. Apple checks the product for defects etc. and repairs it, so that it can be sold again. It carries a full Apple warranty.

21. Kaye Star thread starter macrumors newbie

Kaye Star

I'm getting it today or tomorrow. Thanks!

22. Rodster macrumors 68040

They also replace the outer case with a new one and install a brand new battery. My refurbed iPad 2 which I purchased 2 years ago from Apple is still going STRONG.

23. mlac007 macrumors newbie

Best Buy has iPad Air's on sale

If you don't want to wait for a refurb to show up….Best Buy presently has iPad Airs on sale from $50 off for the 16GB (wifi only) version $75 OFF for the other wifi (32 GB +) versions. The LTE ones are a little more than $100 off.

24. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

What only 6 more months to wait? I'd say wait but why. My ipad air is pretty much perfect. Lightening fast. Aside form the occasional crash perfect. But that is software based probs so it will likely happen with either device.

Let's see the new one will have a i8 chip (can't get much faster), if higher res it's lost on your human eyes, will get a finger print scanner home button which is nice, won't get near field pay as iPhone will get that first, won't get any thinner. The only reason I would upgrade come time is if they increase the size. But I'm guessing that won't happen this time around. But apple does feel like they are getting a little stagnet. Which means it's near time for them to come up with something mind blowing. And the watch is not mind blowing.

----------

You can always look at tit like this. Buy the air now. Use it for 6 months. Sell it at a loss of 50 to 100 bucks. And buy the air 2. So you just spent 50 bucks to have it now. Worth it.

25. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I try and go on a 3/6/9 month rule for iPads.

If within 0-3 months of release, buy if you want and am all in for the latest and greatest.

If within 3-6 months of release, buy if you need (ie. can't wait) or if you can get a refurb deal.

If within 6-9 months of release, buy if you need/want only if it is discounted and have no issue with not having the latest & greatest.

Beyond 9 months you're better off just waiting for the next announcement then repeating the cycle.