Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbirdie6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Looking for feedback/opinions:

I currently have a late 2012 27" iMac with the 3.4 i7, 1 TB Fusion, 16 GB RAM, and NVIDIA GTX 675MX 1GB graphics card.

A family member's iMac has crashed and burned and they offered to buy mine if I'm looking to upgrade (I'm well known in the family to constantly upgrade my tech, which is why they approached me).

I went on Apple's site and was looking at the following build:
27 iMac w Retina Display
4.0 i7
16 GB RAM
3 TB Fusion
M395 2GB graphics
$2,849 total
Student Discount Price - $2,594, plus free Beats Solo 2 Wireless headphones

What's a fair price to charge for my current iMac, and is it a worthwhile upgrade? Or is my current build still solid? I know I'd love the new display and some more onboard storage would be nice - but I guess that's not important enough alone to upgrade.

Let me know what you all think!

Last edited:

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Other than helping your family member you haven't provided any reason to upgrade your current machine. Based on that alone, I'd tell the family member to begin looking in Apple's refurbished store.

jbirdie6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Any chance you can wait? Hopefully there will be new models out soon.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#iMac

I guess I could wait, although the person that wants my iMac probably doesn't want to - but that's not necessarily my problem. Also, it seems like the back to school offer is pretty strong right now. About $250 off the build above and a free $300 Beats Studio 2 headset. Not sure I'll get such a sweet deal on the newest model and from what I'm reading it doesn't sound like there will be much of an upgrade on the refresh.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I guess I could wait, although the person that wants my iMac probably doesn't want to - but that's not necessarily my problem. Also, it seems like the back to school offer is pretty strong right now. About $250 off the build above and a free $300 Beats Studio 2 headset. Not sure I'll get such a sweet deal on the newest model and from what I'm reading it doesn't sound like there will be much of an upgrade on the refresh.

Depends what you use it for, graphics Will be the winner this time round.

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
Sold my 2013 15 inch MacBook Pro in 2014 and depended on iPads as my main computer for a few years. Since then I’ve picked up a 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro that my family wasn’t using at all. It’s been a good machine and still works, but the battery is pretty much shot and it can’t handle much beyond light browsing. Tomorrow I pick up my 2018 13 inch MacBook Pro. Maxed out specs with the 512 storage. I plan on keeping this laptop for awhile and I’m looking forward to the portability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.