Keep what I have or upgrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jbirdie6, Aug 9, 2016.

1. jbirdie6, Aug 9, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016

jbirdie6 macrumors newbie

Looking for feedback/opinions:

I currently have a late 2012 27" iMac with the 3.4 i7, 1 TB Fusion, 16 GB RAM, and NVIDIA GTX 675MX 1GB graphics card.

A family member's iMac has crashed and burned and they offered to buy mine if I'm looking to upgrade (I'm well known in the family to constantly upgrade my tech, which is why they approached me).

I went on Apple's site and was looking at the following build:
    27 iMac w Retina Display
    4.0 i7
    16 GB RAM
    3 TB Fusion
    M395 2GB graphics
    $2,849 total
    Student Discount Price - $2,594, plus free Beats Solo 2 Wireless headphones

What's a fair price to charge for my current iMac, and is it a worthwhile upgrade? Or is my current build still solid? I know I'd love the new display and some more onboard storage would be nice - but I guess that's not important enough alone to upgrade.

Let me know what you all think!

2. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Other than helping your family member you haven't provided any reason to upgrade your current machine. Based on that alone, I'd tell the family member to begin looking in Apple's refurbished store.

4. jbirdie6 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I could wait, although the person that wants my iMac probably doesn't want to - but that's not necessarily my problem. Also, it seems like the back to school offer is pretty strong right now. About $250 off the build above and a free $300 Beats Studio 2 headset. Not sure I'll get such a sweet deal on the newest model and from what I'm reading it doesn't sound like there will be much of an upgrade on the refresh.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Depends what you use it for, graphics Will be the winner this time round.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

If you decide to sell it, I would definitely wait for the next iMac revision before buying a new machine.