Keep Wifi alive when lid closed, power unplugged

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by climater, Jul 12, 2013.

1. climater macrumors newbie

I wonder if there is a way to keep Wifi on when I unplug a Macbook Air and close the lid for a short time of a few minutes. I routinely use X11 forwarding over SSH (for example, running Matlab on a remote box) which needs uninterrupted connection. However, I sometimes work in public space and would hesitate to leave the MBA (which unfortunately doesn't have a Kensington lock slot) unattended for seconds when I need to take a bathroom for example.

I understand Power Nap only works when the MBA is plugged. There are also third-party apps such as NoSleep. But it's not clear to me if they have any side effect. Thanks.

2. luisito macrumors regular

luisito

Oh.

This is a hard one, I also use MatLAB.

My solution has always been to go to the bathroom before running anything or hold it up until done, or call up a friend near by.

You are right, the only work around this is from a third party application, since OS X doesn't let you close the lid while preventing the computer from sleeping while unplugged, I would give it a go, after all it is only a few minutes. Since it uses an SSD there is no worries on scratching the plates because there is none.

The only concern would be how is you MBA connected to the WiFi, if as you walk to the restroom, the signal changes to a closer router, you would lose momentarily the connection, that could cause a catastrophe.