Keep Wifi on or off?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Wishsong, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Wishsong macrumors regular

So I've been having an awesome time with my new 32 gig touch 2.5g, but since it's me first touch, I don't know if I should be keeping the wifi on or not.... Does keeping it on drain the battery a lot more than it should?

2. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

yes, it drains the battery like crazy. you should keep it off all the time, you'll definitely notice an improvement in battery life.

3. Pau.c macrumors regular

in my opinion it does not make any difference! i always have mine on so i can connect fast and simple.

it lasts a good few days of constant listening and playing with it on and off!

4. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

well, from my experience and a couple others experiences that i talked to them about, it makes a couple hours difference.

5. Wishsong thread starter macrumors regular

Eh I've been noticing my battery has been running low like crazy... like even after 5 hours it's at the 35% mark. Is this because of Apps?

6. Mew2468 macrumors regular

I always turn Wi-Fi off when I don't need it - it's a huge battery drainer.

7. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

do you have a lot of push notification apps on?
    you're wifi on?
    bluetooth?
    screen brightness?
    jailbroken?

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Leave it on. All 3 of my iPod touches that I am currently owning or have owned had WiFi on all the time. My battery life was still about 2x better than the people that whine in the forums saying their battery life stinks. Go figure.

9. creon macrumors 6502

I agree. I keep the WiFi on and I can't complain about my battery at all.

Try this: keep it on for a week and see how it is for you and then do the opposite.

IMO turning it on and off every time is annoying, but that's just me.

10. na1577 macrumors 6502a

For me, battery life is a nightmare with WiFi on. The battery doesn't even last a day, even if it's mostly in standby. It doesn't bother me to turn it on and off, though I do wish there was a faster way to do it.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Something's wrong with your battery. I've owned about 5 iPod touches (2 were sent back due to defects). All of them went days/weeks without charging, with push notifications on and WiFi on 24/7.

12. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Mine used to go weeks without charging, it's just old. (there are two other touches in my house, they're the same way)

13. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't turn on wifi unless I need it.

15. Hilmi Hamidi macrumors 6502

If you use Safari on your Touch. It's no surprise that it will drain the battery.
    Just leave it on, mine last for 5 days with occasional browsing and heavy music listening.

16. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's an interesting question whether it's simply having wi-fi on that drains the battery or the push notification or what. I usually keep mine off since open access points are few and far between around here.

17. OriginalFormula macrumors regular

Ask yourself: Are you going to be around useable WiFi often, and will you be using it often.

If the answer to both questions is yes: Then yes, leave it on.

If the answer to both questions is no: Then turn it off.

If the answers are mixed, it's really a judgement call to you. Try conducting some battery life tests with your normal usage.

18. MegaDell macrumors member

Everything you post is such bull**** it's amazing. I mean how do you fit so much bs in so few words?

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It all comes down to whether you are near a wifi hotspot or at home, where you have wifi. If so, leave it on for those occasions, but turn it off otherwise. It's really not that hard or many steps to turn it off and on again. I do it all the time. Mine is off thoughout the day, until I get home. At home on the weekend, I can go the whole time without charging.

20. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

If you do leave wi-fi on turn "ask to join networks" off because THAT will drain your battery.

21. rls11286 macrumors newbie

wait wait...someone said their battery lasts days/weeks without charging?!

my ipod needs to be charged daily. its only a year old. i keep wifi on 24/7, and i play games pretty extensively but only for a few minutes at a time (i would say maybe 2 hours a day total) is there something wrong with my ipod?? :confused:

22. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

I too am very surprised at this too.

My 1st gen touch will last maybe 5 hours with constant Wi-Fi use (Safari, Twitter, checking stocks & weather, checking for app updates, AppSniper). I'm guessing it's a refurbished as I got it close to a year ago.

Even worse is when I play Alive 4-ever, on a full charge, it'll drop to 20% in half an hour. I know there's something wrong with the app, because I can get a good hour and a half playing Gangstar (very graphics heavy game).

I just wish I looked at the box I was buying because I could not tell the difference between the 1st and 2nd gen, seeing as it was, and still is, my first touch.

23. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

It is so easy to turn on. If your on battery I certainly would leave it off
    to extend battery life. Otherwise it is moot.

24. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

if you spend a lot of times away from a charger then be careful with things like push and wi-fi that'll contribute towards battery drain.

personally i leave every thing on at all times and i'm nearly always on charge.