Keep XP or upgrade to Vista 64 bit?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by efedor, Feb 17, 2009.

1. efedor macrumors regular

I have windows XP and I'm being offered a true OG version of vista ultimate 64 bit upgrade. I enjoy the xp version and it works well minus the tapping on the trackpad that it doesnt recognize. Would you guys upgrade or would you keep your old xp? I have 4gb and only see 3gb. By the way the cat is asking 40dls for the 64 bit....hard times I guess.

2. eldivino macrumors member

I would go for the Vista 64. But you may want to wait for Windows 7 x64. I'm actually running the Beta version through BootCamp. I have to admit, Windows 7 seems very stable.

3. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

Stick with XP, and then in August upgrade to windows 7 64bit. Windows 7 is soooooo much better but clearly needs to have some obvious issues cleared out first which is why i would suggest waiting.

4. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

I'd keep my money. Vista doesn't really offer any new functionality other than application muting (something OS X really needs BTW) and better drive-indexing. Other than that, it consumes more resources.

It's not a bad OS or anything, it just doesn't offer anything different to XP so i'd save my money/cpu cycles and stick with XP.

On a side note (as magicmoxter recommended) W7 is shaping up quite well, so it's probably a good idea to hold off until that comes around as it's pretty much MS's answer to SL in that it is reducing footprint and optimizing performance on modern and legacy hardware alike.
    I'm running the beta now and it's not as staggeringly wonderful as many would have you believe but it's definitely a step in the right direction which something MS have needed to make for a while now..

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I would wait for Windows 7 and just keep XP for now, Windows 7 is really shaping up to be something great. Microsoft has solved many problems and provided a much better experience.

6. efedor thread starter macrumors regular

I went ahead and bought it and installed it, It's not bad at all. I really love the Aero feature it saves me alot of time. At this point I cant tell you which one is better but Im liking the ultimate. Thank you for your advice

7. guest8t88 macrumors member

Second that.