Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
It's a shame that it's not better supported on iOS, as KeePass is a really great program; I've been using it for almost 10 years now.

$12/year for LastPass is next to nothing, but I'd rather not buckle to it when a perfectly viable alternative is out there that's free.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
It's a shame that it's not better supported on iOS, as KeePass is a really great program; I've been using it for almost 10 years now.

$12/year for LastPass is next to nothing, but I'd rather not buckle to it when a perfectly viable alternative is out there that's free.

I agree. I've been tempted by 1Password but their hostility towards a Linux native client has kept me away.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
I deserted KeePass during a period when Enpass for iOS was being offered for free. It's normally $10 and Mac, Windows, and Linux versions are free.

These guys?
https://www.enpass.io/

Support forums:
https://discussion.enpass.io/

Hmm. I generally distrust companies with security software. (LastPass, 1Password, etc). Lots of Twitter activity, not a lot of info elsewhere...

It's hard to beat Keepass/KeepassX, open source, secure and local.

Reactions: phillytim

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
At this point I've burned through what little we have on the App store. Almost everything looks abandoned or in disarray. Anyone else? I would be happy to support a paid KeepassX application.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Since LastPass went to free the other week, I just switched over to that.

I hated to do it, but there isn't a lot of KeePass app choices.

Good luck!

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Since LastPass went to free the other week, I just switched over to that.

I hated to do it, but there isn't a lot of KeePass app choices.

Good luck!

Yeah. I just can't trust a company with my stuff. I certainly understand why you jumped.

Reactions: max2

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Roboform 8 is suppose to be free too. Though only with one device unfortunately.

Looks like there all trying to compete except 1Password.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Roboform 8 is suppose to be free too. Though only with one device unfortunately.

Looks like there all trying to compete except 1Password.

Free isn't what I want. Open source is. I'm happy to pay as long as the code is open, audited and updated.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands

I love it and use it since I switched to KeePass on all of my Windows and iOS devices. I've tried almost all of them including the kind off 'official' MiniKeePass app but that didn't have a automatic sync feature or supported an URL scheme.

I instantly bought the in app purchase to get rid off the ads in Keepass Touch.
It offers a sync feature with e.g. Dropbox which I love to use and another important thing was that it had to support an URL scheme to always open it up via my Launcher widget and it also has support for Split Screen Mode on iPad since recently. Keepass Touch is also updated quite a lot.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Have you tried KyPass 3? I was using that up until I switched, without any trouble.

I'll take a look. Slightly complicating matters is that I run Linux (currently Fedora 25 on my Thinkpad) I would really like to find a command line manager as it's much faster that the GUI KeepassX stuff. I've looked at:

https://www.passwordstore.org/

Even though it leaks metadata and the iOS application:

https://github.com/davidjb/pass-ios#readme

...is problematic. I'm not really happy with anything at the moment.

[doublepost=1480983293][/doublepost]
I love it and use it since I switched to KeePass on all of my Windows and iOS devices. I've tried almost all of them including the kind off 'official' MiniKeePass app but that didn't have a automatic sync feature or supported an URL scheme.

It offers a sync feature with e.g. Dropbox which I love to use and another important thing was that it had to support an URL scheme to always open it up via my Launcher widget and it also has support for Split Screen Mode on iPad since recently. Keepass Touch is also updated quite a lot.

Hmmm...

Last edited:

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
There is a fork of KeepassX:

https://keepassxreboot.github.io/index

Sadly almost all development on iOS is stalled at this point. I hate to say it looks bleak...
[doublepost=1485180248][/doublepost]

I took a look at it and was immediately turned off by the ads. Not in my password manager. EVER. I would have been happy to pay $3.99 or some such but since that compromise was made initially I won't touch the project. The worst part is it's the only Keepass application that's routinely updated...

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I took a look at it and was immediately turned off by the ads. Not in my password manager. EVER. I would have been happy to pay $3.99 or some such but since that compromise was made initially I won't touch the project. The worst part is it's the only Keepass application that's routinely updated...

I know I would also think that it would make much more sense if he would just ask money for it immediately and not free and that you then have to do an in-app purchase to remove it. I also hate that.

But overall this KeePass Touch app is the best one out there I think on iOS with lot's of updates and support for url scheme as well. It's only 0.99 euro/dollarcents to remove the ads completely forever and you can also use it on other iDevices with the same AppleID without any extra costs as well. A recent update did cause that you had to manually allow sync again with Dropbox if you use that but after that it works flawlessly again.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
It's definitely worthwhile to support a KeePass app developer, especially when the pickins are slim. $0.99 is easily worthwhile, if the app is active, decent, & *reliable*.

Reactions: pacorob

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
KyPass 4 is now out, with funky UI choices, and a new price. The other KeePass applications are dead or dying at this point. What I would give to see an open source official community maintained KeePass app on iOS.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
KyPass 4 is now out, with funky UI choices, and a new price.

Do you happen to know why the developer now released another KeePass app (Kypass 4 4.99 dollar/5.49 euro) aside of KyPass 3 (1.99 dollar/2.29 euro) which also got an update as well? Do you happen to know the difference between them?

The other KeePass applications are dead or dying at this point. What I would give to see an open source official community maintained KeePass app on iOS.

Don't forgot about the very fine KeePass Touch (99 dollar cents / 1.09 euro in-app remove ads once) which gets it's frequent updates and has a nice and clean UI and is reliable as well.

I agree the list of apps on the official KeePass 'download' page is really outdated. I approached them about it ages ago to include e.g. KeePass Touch but I didn't hear back from them.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Do you happen to know why the developer now released another KeePass app (Kypass 4 4.99 dollar/5.49 euro) aside of KyPass 3 (1.99 dollar/2.29 euro) which also got an update as well? Do you happen to know the difference between them?

http://www.kyuran.be/blog/2017/09/11/kypass-v4-is-coming/

Don't forgot about the very fine [B said:
KeePass Touch[/B] (99 dollar cents / 1.09 euro in-app remove ads once) which gets it's frequent updates and has a nice and clean UI and is reliable as well.

I agree the list of apps on the official KeePass 'download' page is really outdated. I approached them about it ages ago to include e.g. KeePass Touch but I didn't hear back from them.

Never will I trust a KeePass application that has ads. Ever.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Never will I trust a KeePass application that has ads. Ever.

I instantly did the in-app so I have no ads anymore but I get what you are saying and why you don't want to.
I'm also normally not into apps that have a free version with either ads or in-app but at the time I couldn't find a good alternative that had all the features and with the in-app for the removal of the ads I thought it was the best option because apps like MiniKeePass were/are? incomplete in features (lacks URL scheme, syncing with e.g. Dropbox).

It has the most features I think although I can check again on KyPass 3 and 4 how that is now.
I just bought the Kypass 4 application which is not cheap but looking into the support 2/3 had for years I guess the 5.50 euro (once) is a really smart investment. UI wise it's not as nice as KeePass Touch though but feature wise it's similar and it also has a nice Action extension which KeepPass Touch doesn't have. Also good to see Kypass 4 has an URL scheme as well. I just added it to the Launcher database.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.