Keeping 2 Macs in SYNC!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lmps56, Sep 20, 2008.

1. lmps56 macrumors member

Hi,

I will purchase the new MacBook whenever it is going to be released.
    I already have a mac pro and was wondering how I would be able to sync the two macs ENTIRE hard drives???
    Not just calenders, mail accounts and other mobile me stuff;
    the actual ENTIRE HD.
    Is there an app out there or anything that can sync all data between 2 or more computers? An app that does not just treat my Mac Pro as master but also detects that my MacBook may have information that my Mac Pro does not have yet?
    So basically like Mac to Iphone sharing? When you purchase a song with the iPhone it syncs it back to your back, or when you add a contact it syncs it back to your mac!?
    Thanks for the help!

2. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

I'm not completely sure. I also thought about this. If you did a CCC, you wouldn't want to sync EVERYTHING; the desktop obviously has different drivers from the laptop.

3. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

5. lmps56 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys!
    Yeah I guess I dont want to sync the entire HD rather than just my home folder.
    That would include all my files, contacts, calenders etc. right?

6. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Yes, OSX usually tries to keep all your settings local to your home folder.
    However there are some things to keep in mind:
    - Applications are installed in the machine application folder, make sure you have the same versions running on both machines.
    - If applications store their data in a database (I think iTunes does it) than you must not make simultaneous changes to both system, since one or the other version would be lost if you synchronize.

For a freeware file synchronizer look at: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/