Keeping 2 macs mostly in sync?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RobQuads, Aug 12, 2011.

1. RobQuads macrumors regular

After resisting for many years I have at long last got my first mac - a nice Macbook Air. For the last couple years I have also been playing with a Hackintosh in my office so now have two Mac OS machines.

I'm trying to find a decent application to keep the two machines in sync using a 3rd party server. Its rare the both machines will be on, normally its one or the other but both machines have access to a server (windows cough cough) which is on 24/7

I used to use an Windows application called Allway Sync (free) which was awesome, you could setup lots of folder syncs and they would run automatically with all sorts of rules.

I am looking for something similar for the Mac.

Looking at previous posts (not so many recent ones), I have heard of ChronoSync but a) its not free :( and b) the server is not Mac based so I don't think it will work so well. I 'could' use rsync but its would be a more long winded having to automate it etc. Drag/Drop guis are nicer to use. If I wanted cmdline fun i would be running Ubuntu :)

So suggestions for a Mac equivalent of Allway Sync

Thanks for any replies in advanced

2. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

I use a couple of programmes to keep my MBA, MBP and work computer in sync - Dropbox for documents and files, and Goodsync. I really like Goodsync - it's not free, but not expensive. Easy to set up the syncs you want, and there's also a Goodsync2go which you can install on a USB key to use on other computers - a God-send for me as I don't have admin access on my work computer. There'a also a Windows version if needed. I set up an automator action to automatically sync the Macs at the same time every day, so don't have to think about it too often.

3. RobQuads thread starter macrumors regular

I already use dropbox for all my important document but want to try and keep lots of other bits like photos etc in sync

4. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

5. cbronfman macrumors 6502

SugarSync

I use Dropbox, but I also purchased an annual subscription to SugarSync which works perfectly. Within a minute of my updating files on one computer, they are updated on the other and on SS's web manager.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's very difficult to sync iTunes, iPhoto, and Quicken 2007. Dropbx warns against trying it. I think apps that create their own databases with private formats would be the hardest thing to sync.

7. RobQuads thread starter macrumors regular

As mentioned I already use dropbox but without spending $$$ its not suitable for large volumes of data.

I'm not worried about iphoto libbrary syncing etc, All the files I want to sync are stand alone files (although iTunes is one I do want to do but not had any problems copying those files manually so far so can't see a problem auotmating it.

8. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss