Keeping a Camera Steady

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
98
0
I need to move a camera and keep it steady (not shakey) whats the best way for me to do it? I don't want to have to buy any equipment either.

I remember something on the Screen Savers with a coke bottle and maybe software that applies a filter to the video?
 

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
9,227
444
NY
What movements are u going to be doing with the camera?
If your following a person walking lets say, you can sit on skateboard and have someone pull you.
 

ZicklePop

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
98
0
puckhead193 said:
What movements are u going to be doing with the camera?
If your following a person walking lets say, you can sit on skateboard and have someone pull you.
lol, actually tried that but it comes out soo shakey

just following and simple movements.
 

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
9,227
444
NY
ZicklePop said:
lol, actually tried that but it comes out soo shakey

just following and simple movements.

you can try holding the camera with two hands. Try holding it with to hands. Don't use the hand strap. Hold it at the base of the camera......
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,407
0
VA
Get a cheap tripod or make something you can rest the camera on. Tripods aren't that expensive and it will make a huge difference.

D
 

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
558
0
Mr. Anderson said:
Get a cheap tripod or make something you can rest the camera on. Tripods aren't that expensive and it will make a huge difference.

D

He wants to move it. He would need a dolly with the tripod for that.


If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, there are instructions for a do it yourself steadycam online...costs less than $15...
 

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
1,561
0
Madison, WI
Mr. Anderson said:
Get a cheap tripod or make something you can rest the camera on. Tripods aren't that expensive and it will make a huge difference.

D
What you could do with that tripod, you could hold the tripod. The added weight of the tripod will help to steady the camera. I've tried it, it works.
 

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
6,040
111
Canada, eh?
I've built a version of the $15 "steadycam" (note: not Steadicam) and it works fairly well. I've also done the hold-the-tripod thing.

It really just comes with practice. The heavier the camera, the easier it is to hold steady, though the sooner your arms get tired.

Consider also a monopod. I built my own out of a broom extension pole and a few nuts and bolts (and a large cork).
 

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
2,174
2
Las Vegas, NV
A monopod suspended by a bungee would probably work well. I suppose you'd need to secure the bungee to a belt or vest, and the mount point for the bottom of the monopod should be clear of sensitive body parts.
 

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
22,407
0
VA
Rod Rod said:
A monopod suspended by a bungee would probably work well. I suppose you'd need to secure the bungee to a belt or vest, and the mount point for the bottom of the monopod should be clear of sensitive body parts.
But you'd need to tweak the tension of the bungie and the weight of the rig. With any of these simple suggestions, what it will come down to is practicing with it to get it right.

D
 

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
1,927
83
Cape Breton Island
puckhead193 said:
What movements are u going to be doing with the camera?
If your following a person walking lets say, you can sit on skateboard and have someone pull you.


Or alternately you could learn to skateboard, then once you get really good (like 2 years) of pushing around you can skateboard and film at the same time. ;)

Anyway, that's what we do. Of course, we are following another skateboarder so you need to be able to go that fast.

What camera are you using? can you post a pic?
 

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
1,672
0
Ottawa, ON
hey shareware demon, where did you get that icon? I vaguely remember seeing that demon somewhere in some old mac rpg.
 

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
1,927
83
Cape Breton Island
topicolo said:
hey shareware demon, where did you get that icon? I vaguely remember seeing that demon somewhere in some old mac rpg.

:eek: I've been hoping someone would notice my name once I got my 'tar

It's from Exile 2, Crystal Souls which was a game I used to play in grade 7 (going into second year university now) and this game was shareware.
I found a way to get around the shareware (I had an older version, Jeff Vogel patched this workaround in the later versions) I also liked the graphics from the older version more anyway. So ever since then I mocked the Sharewaredemon, so I took his name.
 

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
1,766
16
NY
What does the sowden use to steady his GL2 in such films as furag and cráp you may wonder to yourself?

CAMCRANE from Glidecam

Glidecam 4000pro

Bescor Tripod (Carbon fiber head)
 

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
1,620
0
Brisbane, Australia
Why don't you stand back a bit and zoom in, then slowly zoom out. (Buy a cheap tripod)

Another suggestion is to give up and use the bouncing as an effect. Step backwards at even steps and time. This effect is great if filming people (under impression from a post). It positions the viewer to feel like they are placed in the shoot.
 

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
1,672
0
Ottawa, ON
Sharewaredemon said:
:eek: I've been hoping someone would notice my name once I got my 'tar

It's from Exile 2, Crystal Souls which was a game I used to play in grade 7 (going into second year university now) and this game was shareware.
I found a way to get around the shareware (I had an older version, Jeff Vogel patched this workaround in the later versions) I also liked the graphics from the older version more anyway. So ever since then I mocked the Sharewaredemon, so I took his name.
Oh man, now that you mention it, I'm getting all these nostalgic memories of when I played Exile and Exile 2. Those were the days. There was also an old 68k game called Rescue! that let you play as the captain of the Enterprise and go around blowing up ships and rescuing colonists. Boy was I ever easily amused when I was in grade 6 :). So you live in Nova Scotia? are you living in Halifax?
 

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
596
0
Lincoln, NE
AliensAreFuzzy said:
What you could do with that tripod, you could hold the tripod. The added weight of the tripod will help to steady the camera. I've tried it, it works.

I'll second that. Although I did eventually buy a cheap steadycam from a friend. Can't remember the brand now though.
 

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
21,605
7,854
CT
How small is the camera, I don't like small cameras because you can't get a good grip, When I am using a fairly expensive 3 ccd camera its easier to control until of course the weight on your shoulder causes you to be in extreme pain. Either build up the muscles or change positions all the time, saves on the shoulder and can give you some nicer shots.
 

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
2,385
0
Vermontana
Maybe a little more insight into the shot you're making and how you want it to look? A steady followcam is difficult without a heavy camera and/or expensive equipment.

I'm curious to find out what the coke bottle thing was...