Keeping A Home & Work Computer In Sync

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joshmv, Jan 1, 2009.

1. joshmv macrumors member

joshmv

Up until a couple weeks ago, I worked from home exclusively from my iMac. Now I upgraded to an office and got another iMac, but plan to work from both places.

I used my time machine backup drive from my home computer to setup my work iMac, so they were in sync originally, but now as I do more and more work on each, they get further away from having the same files on them etc.

I was just using a zip drive to try and keep everything matched, but that was harder than I thought and I don't want to be hauling the big backup drive to each place everyday.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks!

Josh

2. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

What do you want to keep synced? Documents? To keep all my documents synced between both of my machines I use dropbox but I don't know if this is what you are talking about.

ChrisN

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Well, .Mac is designed for that purpose, but it also costs a fair wad ($99/year if memory serves). If you only want to keep a collection of files synchronized, I recommend Dropbox, which is free. It synchronizes a particular directory on my iMac with the Dropbox website, where all of my files are accessible, with proper authentication, naturally. I also run the client on my iBook, so all of my files are instantly synced across computers the moment I save. That's great for updating school notes and for printing assignments using school printers. It also has clients for Mac, Windows, and Linux.

Damn, beat me to it! :D

Update: I should mention that Dropbox's free account has a 2 GB limit. You can pay something like $5/mo to upgrade to a 20 GB limit.

4. joshmv thread starter macrumors member

joshmv

Thanks, I think thats the kind of thing I'm looking for so I'll check them out and hopefully pick the one that works best for my setup.

Thanks again,

Josh

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sorry, I just double-checked and Dropbox's upgraded service is $10/mo or $100/yr for 50 GB. That's the same price as Mobile Me (.Mac). The 2 GB service is still free, though.

6. hhlee macrumors 6502

+1 for dropbox. do you have 2gb+ that you need to sync? if so, its probably worth using an external hd instead anyway.

7. rtpub macrumors member

rtpub

I second the external harddisk idea... it's more secure (if you have concerns on the putting all your work onto the web), besides, a 2.5" harddisk w/ case isn't much to carry :D

8. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

One option would be partition your Time Capsule so that you've also got a portion that will act as a wireless network hard drive and store all your documents on there, then just access the files directly from the time capsule.

9. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Mobile Me? Does chrono sync work over the internet?