Keeping a Spare Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hrothgar, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Hrothgar macrumors 6502

As noted elsewhere, my Macbook's battery popped. I ordered a new one from Apple but then, based on advice here, I took my old one to a store, which replaced it. The new one just arrived. I was going to return it, but I thought it might be nice to have a spare around for long train rides or flights.

What's the best way to store this? Should I charge it periodically, or only when I think I'm going to need it? Any advice for carrying it around? (I.e., should I put someone to cover the connecting pins?)

Thanks.

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I'd recommend keeping a spare battery as well. Apple recommends you keep the battery charged at near 50% to prolong the life. If I were you, i'd also periodically use the battery, maybe 1-4 times a month if you can, just to make sure that the electrons are flowing properly.
    It is not recommended to put a cap on the connector, however if you plan on getting it really dirty I would recommend you put on a cap, just to keep the connector clean.

Good luck

3. Hrothgar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I guess I can just regularly switch the batteries every month or so.

4. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Yep, just change them out so often and then before a trip, charge them both and off ya go.