Keeping a SWF interactive for a dvd?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by charlottelovesu, Jun 2, 2008.

1. charlottelovesu macrumors newbie

To begin with, I know very little about flash and better yet it's output...so my question is...How can I keep a SWF file interactive on a dvd presentation?

I want to have a sort of flash based interactive image gallery on cd-rom or dvd with sub-menus options...(Sellfolio is a program that does exactly what I need but of course it is not offered for us cool Mac folk)...

...so I am having to do bits and pieces until it adds up to what I need...I am going to use the Airtight SimpleViewer as the gallery and it exports as a SWF file so is there anyway to use that the way I need?...

Sorry for the long-winded question...not really sure how to explain what I am doing...any suggestions would be gravy!

2. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Are you wanting this to work in a traditional dvd player, or a computer but stored on dvd media? It's been a couple years since I've done dvd authoring stuff and I'm not sure about swf implementation within actual dvd players. Off hand I don't think they can decode it, but that's a foggy memory talking.

3. charlottelovesu thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I would want it to work in a computer do to the flash...or is there a way to have both?...I am actually trying to figure all this out for someone else so not really sure how specific to be...but any ideas are welcome here!...thanks

4. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

For computer use only, yes you can build the whole thing in flash. You can code it to go full screen when launched, and export a standalone projector for Mac and an .exe for Windows. You may also want to look into something to auto launch the application on insertion.

This would not be the same as a DVD that goes onto your TV.

5. charlottelovesu thread starter macrumors newbie

...this is a little over my head...can you maybe dumb it down for me?...

How and where would I go about coding it? And I am assuming that the standalone projector is in Flash. Is there anyway to achieve that without actually having Flash...I should of mentioned this earlier, I'm using Lightroom and exporting a gallery template because I am cheap and a little lazy:D

Is there any hope or should I just forget it?...

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I would suggest you search for a product that maybe does this automatically. If you don't really know flash, it's not exactly simple. Sorry.

7. charlottelovesu thread starter macrumors newbie

...that has been the problem really...I can't find any program that will work with a Mac...is there anything that you know of?...

8. iGav macrumors G3

You could create a projector in Flash and link to the .swf file, that'd work.

And then burn it as a DVD-ROM disc, thought this would only work on a computer of course.

I'm not personally familiar with SimpleViewer so I'm not entirely sure what the .swf it exports actually consists of.

But if it generates a complete interactive image gallery as a .swf file, that for example can be linked with HTML, then you'll be able to create a projector file in Flash that links to the SimpleViewer .swf file.

If you want a DVD that works in both a DVD player and a computer, you're going to have to create a enhanced DVD (Hybrid DVD, whichever you prefer) that separates the data much like how an enhanced CD separates the audio from the multimedia data.

Of course, you biggest problem is that you'll have create the content for the DVD player separately, using iDVD or DVD Studio Pro or some other DVD Authoring software.

You can download a fully functioning trial version of Flash from Adobes website if that helps.

Adobe Director would also handle this task, perhaps with a moderately easier learning curve for the novice than Flash because of it's vastly superior interface paradigm, and more coherent implementation of the timeline.

Alternatively, rather than use Flash, when not just create a HTML file, with a javascript file that detects the monitor resolution, and opens your SimpleViewer .swf in a fullscreen pop-up directly from the DVD?

9. theranch macrumors 6502

I agree with what iGav is saying but to answer your question in short hand you can't use an SWF on a DVD intended to be played on a TV, DVD players don't know what to do with SWF's.
    Of course you will need a copy of Flash to do all of the following, you can download a trial version from Adobe's site like iGav mentioned.
    You can use Flash to make a "projector" file that could load your SimpleViewer swf, XML file & images and use it on a computer.
    If you are puzzled about what a "projector" is, while in Flash press the F1 key to get the help section and search for Projector and you'll get more info.
    To export as a projector you need to check that tick box in the publish settings for your .fla in Flash. There is a tick box for mac and or pc projector.

If you want more info or details feel free to message me.

10. 01alop macrumors newbie

it's not difficult. you can google or you can try dvd creator plus. it can convert most of the video formats to dvd and make dvd menu. you'd better install ffdshow, and select all the video and audio codec formats.

11. mystery macrumors newbie

good solution

Make your SWF file as usual and goto publish options, where you can choose the projector exe as an output file.

now to make the SWF to play on TV, you can use many third party software to convert the SWF to DVD .... enjoy!!

any doubts? please let me know