keeping adapter plugged while using computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samir684, Oct 28, 2008.

1. samir684 macrumors newbie

i just bought the new macbook pro 15" and use it every day for work. is there a danger in keeping it plugged in while using it throughout the day? will that drain battery life? should i keep unplugging when fully charged and letting it drain then start charging again?

if so what should i do to maximize my battery life for the long term. i don't want to have to buy a new battery every year...

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Just calibrate the battery once a month or so. It's fine to leave plugged in. I would however unplug it while unattended. IE: sitting on the couch while you sleep. Not so much for battery health, but more so as fire prevention.

3. KSpider macrumors regular

It isnt going to help your battery life that is for sure, but no way around it. Like synth said, be sure to calibrate it once in a while. You want to make sure you run the battery down and recharge every so often.

4. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I'm sure that didn't scare him.
    :eek: :rolleyes:

You'll be fine. I don't know why you wouldn't want to use battery power, but it shouldn't matter.

It'll eventually kill the battery. That's why everyone is saying to calibrate it once a month. That is the best idea.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's fine to use it plugged in all day. As others have said, just calibrate it every month or so. Instructions are here.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Leaving it plugged in doesn't do anything to the battery, its never letting the battery drain that affects the lifespan. Occasionally running the battery down should sort things out.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

A battery catching fire will happen regardless if its plugged in or not. Only way to guarantee that doesn't happen would be to always remove the battery when the laptop is on.

Quite a PITA and there is no proof that the new batteries have that issue.

8. durant0s macrumors regular

durant0s

I leave mine plugged in at work all day but I just take the battery out in the morning when i get there. I put it back in like the last hour or so im at work, make sure its charged, then when I get home that night I use it without connecting letting the power run out and repeat. Though some people on this forum have accused me of "castrating" my MBP by doing so...

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're essentially calibrating every day by doing that, which will dramatically reduce your battery life. Apple recommends calibrating "every month or two", not every day. Removing the battery while plugged in is never necessary or recommended.

To understand how to care for a battery properly, refer to Apple's recommendations:

10. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

wrong....calibrating once a month will not prolong it's life. in fact it will kill your battery within a year if that's all you do. per apple you are to use your laptop on battery power most of time and plug it up to charge it. + calibrate once a month.
    trust me on this. i have a 13 month old mbp and kept it plugged up 95% of the time, but calibrated it at least once a month and i now have 13% health and my battery last for about 15 minutes.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is incorrect on so many counts. First, calibrating your battery WILL prolong its life, a fact that is stated by Apple and proven in the real world. Second, Apple does NOT state that you are "to use your laptop on battery power most of the time". Like many thousands of users, I use my MBP as a desktop, plugged in 98% of the time. I calibrate about once a month. My battery health is currently 92% (bounces between 89% and 97%) and I can easily get 4+ hours use on a charge.

12. Bitslong macrumors newbie

I've got a new MBP now, but my former 2y.o MB was run 95% of the time plugged into power and cycled once in a while.

After 2 years and 220+ 'cycles' (not full) it was still reporting 72% health and holding a reasonable charge!