Keeping applications from quitting

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boston04and07, Dec 21, 2008.

1. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Hey guys, is there any way to keep certain applications from quitting when you close the window? I use iPhoto a lot and would like to be able to close the window without quitting the whole thing. Minimizing is a pain since then it gets two icons in the dock! Right now I'm just keeping it open in its own space, but keeping it running in the background would be so much better. Is this possible?

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Programs don't fully close when you click the red x...that button just closes that specific window.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Have you tried command + H to hide it? I believe this would serve your purpose perfectly, I use this all the time. To unhide the application you just have to click on the icon in the Dock or go to it via command + tab.

This is not true in all cases.

4. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

If you set your mouse to have a secondary click, you can secondary click the dock icon and select hide.

5. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Whoah, thanks for your fast responses! :D Heh, I never thought of hiding the applications, but that'll work great!