Keeping cables under control?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Super Macho Man, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

Like every computer geek I've got a bunch of cables on hand. Network cables, firewire, USB, audio, video, anything and everything - probably 30 different varieties. I used to bunch them up and put them all together in a big box, but they would get all tangled and gnarly and horrible. I started looping them up and twist-tying them into spirals, which helps, but they still get mixed together. Do they make segregated containers or something for this purpose? What are your cable storage strategies?

2. jng macrumors 65816

jng

at work, we have one of those really tall plastic drawer sets and each drawer has a different type of cable kind of like this except it's really narrow and sits on top of a table.

3. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

I think the OP wants to know how to organize cables that are connected from the items to the computer.

I just use the twist ties; it really is impossible to manage all those cables any more neatly than that. I'm following this thread.

4. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Really?

STORAGE

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I like zip ties. I use them for cables that are attached to my computer and for cables that are in storage...they are quick to attach, cheap, I don't care if I lose them, and disposable. :)

[​IMG]

6. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I tie mine in knots,

basically fold the cable in half a few times,
    then tie the opposing ends together in a basic knot,
    there is no step three.

Ill post pics later when I can.