Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reddkryten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
Hello.

I was wondering, does anyone know a way to keep data constantly stored on the iPad, without having it being deleted when space runs low?

I recently added a few new films to my iPad, updated Arkham Asylum etc. and didn't realise how full my iPad was getting. Then today I went to read a document in pages, only to find it was no longer on my device, it had been quietly deleted.

It was backed-up to iCloud, so getting it back was not a worry in this situation, I'm just not so sure about next time. What if this happens again, only next time it happens when I am nowhere near wifi? If I'm filming in the middle of nowhere, or during the interview I had last week? If this were to happen in either of those situations it could be a disaster.

So is there any way to tell my iPad or iCloud what data it can and cannot erase? My angry birds save game is expendable, my documents are not.

Thanks for your help, all the best.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
How could you iPad know what is important to you and what is not.

What size memory are you talking about. 64GB is a lot of room and if it is filled up, not much to say except make some choices.

Reddkryten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
How could you iPad know what is important to you and what is not.

Easy, a little "do not delete" slider in the settings for Pages. Or an option in iCloud that, when the iPad runs low on space it can either quietly delete, or inform me that I am out of room.

I have made some choices and cleared out 9GB of space, but that's the thing I made the choices, I don't like my iPad making choices for me, especially when they could go so badly.

I didn't even know the iPad could delete data until today, I'm glad it happened today and not on wednesday, because if it had happened then I would have shown up and been unable to do my job.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Store your Pages documents in iCloud or Dropbox.

My iPad has never deleted anything I didn't specifically ask it to. Seems like a glitch.

Reddkryten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
I already do, but that's the issue, what happens when I am nowhere near wifi when I realise the data is gone?

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Easy, a little "do not delete" slider in the settings for Pages. Or an option in iCloud that, when the iPad runs low on space it can either quietly delete, or inform me that I am out of room.

I have made some choices and cleared out 9GB of space, but that's the thing I made the choices, I don't like my iPad making choices for me, especially when they could go so badly.

I didn't even know the iPad could delete data until today, I'm glad it happened today and not on wednesday, because if it had happened then I would have shown up and been unable to do my job.

iPads, iPhones and most other smart phone WILL delete data to preserve system operation.

If you do not want them to make choices for you then YOU need to clean out what you do not need/want.

Reddkryten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
iPads, iPhones and most other smart phone WILL delete data to preserve system operation.

If you do not want them to make choices for you then YOU need to clean out what you do not need/want.

Arkham Asylum is hardly a system operation.

My issue is not that the iPad deleted data, it's actually quite an intelligent way of
managing space, the issue is my machine did not ask.

If when I downloaded Arkham Asylum a little popup saying "hey, this file is a bit big, if you download it we will delete some of your other stuff, do you want to proceed?" that way I would have known of the issue and been able to deal with it.

The iPad deleted documents I need to work, behind my back without informing or consulting me, I feel more than a little betrayed.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Arkham Asylum is hardly a system operation.

My issue is not that the iPad deleted data, it's actually quite an intelligent way of
managing space, the issue is my machine did not ask.

If when I downloaded Arkham Asylum a little popup saying "hey, this file is a bit big, if you download it we will delete some of your other stuff, do you want to proceed?" that way I would have known of the issue and been able to deal with it.

The iPad deleted documents I need to work, behind my back without informing or consulting me, I feel more than a little betrayed.

Get over it as it is the way it is!

If you are getting low on memory, it will do it again, TAKE IT AS A HINT:p

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

I totally agree with what you are saying, but unfortunately at the moment there is no way to tell the iPad not to delete data. As I understand it, not all apps do this, only ones that know their data is backed up somewhere and can be redownloaded. So paradoxically, Pages might not have deleted your data if you hadn't been using iCloud sync. However, to have this happen in the background without informing the user, and to have this "feature" not be well-publicized, is, as you say, very problematic. I suggest you leave feedback to Apple, and let them know why you have a problem with the way this is implemented.
http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.