Keeping desktop and laptop in sync

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Slevin, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Slevin macrumors regular

I currently have a MacBook but I'm in the market to get a new iMac. I would like to use the iMac while home but when I go on the road I'll grab the MacBook But how do I make sure all my documents and whatnot are kept in sync between the two computers so I have the most recent version of each document that I need.

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Various cloud based services can easily meet your need. Dropbox, Google drive, etc.

3. aregh macrumors newbie

Or you can use applications like Folder Sync to keep both devices in sync.
    1. You can transfer the data using external hard disks as the transfer medium or;
    2. Using a wormhole cable to connect the 2 devices.

both methods are a bit of a chore to do but works nonetheless.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

With a Cloud syncing service you'll either be limited by the maximum storage allowed or you'll have to pay to get as much as you need. Any of these services would be the easiest way to do what you want.

With a local network syncing app both computers would need to be on. Also, your new and modified files on your laptop won't update on the iMac until you're back at home and connected to the local network with both computers running.

Best answer depends on your situation...quantity of files etc.

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

There is a program called unison that you can use

6. Slevin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I found an app called chronosync that'll keep two or more macs in sync with each other without too much hassle.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Just some thoughts...

I wouldn't put too much effort in trying to keep the two Macs "100% in sync", or even anywhere close.

In my experience, I use my (two) desktop Macs for "desktop things", and use my MacBook Pro for "other things", a few related to the desktops, but most of it "not".

In other words, I let each of my Macs "be its own Mac".

Works fine for me.
    I realize your needs might be different...