Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I'm trying to find a reliable Blu Ray ripper that can keep the original audio while compressing the video. So far every program I have tried wants to convert the DTS-HD or TrueHD stream to AAC 5.1 or AC3 5.1. This is using an MKV container.

My goal is to compress the video to about 4GB per hour for 1080p. While maintaining the best audio quality possible.

I also want to rip the subtitle but make them something I can choose to turn on or off.

What would be the best software to use to accomplish this. I've tried Pavtube and ********* neither keep the DTS/TrueHD option when selecting MKV or any other format for that matter. The only way I can see to keep it is to do a lossless copy but that keeps all the extra baggage of multiple audio tracks, subtitles, previews and full bitrate video.

Ideally I'd keep everything original but Plex does not work with unadulterated rips. Plus with my massive library of Blu Rays and DVDs I'd be hard pressed to store everything.

This needs to be a Windows compatible ripper. As my Macbook can not compete with my gaming PC for sheer GPU/CPU power.

djkirsten

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2006
If I'm not mistaken, MakeMKV can do that... It's $50 for Blu-Ray ripping though (free for DVD's).

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Just a note, compressing the video down that much will noticeably decrease the image quality. I use MakeMKV too, although I use it to produce a file with the original video and 1 uncompressed audio track, as re-compressing the video is quite noticeable to me when watching on a projector.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Just a note, compressing the video down that much will noticeably decrease the image quality. I use MakeMKV too, although I use it to produce a file with the original video and 1 uncompressed audio track, as re-compressing the video is quite noticeable to me when watching on a projector.

I too prefer to make a single file with one audio HD stream (and forced sub if required).

The catch with what the original poster wants is to take over 12 gigs of video (no audio stream) and compress it down to about 2.5 gigs. If the audio stream is kept "as is" it maybe be 1-3 gigs by itself...leaving the remainder for the video stream. This is really a bad practice. Using the core - DTS or Dolby instead makes more sense for a 4-5 gig file than taking up more than a gig for the audio track. However, to each their own.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Tried the MakeMKV but didn't see any options for compressing the video. So far the best I have found is Pavtube Bytecopy. It lets me keep the DTS track and compress the video. It also allows me to rip multiple audio tracks and subtitle tracks and keep them as separate entities within the MKV container.

Unfortunately for the Blu Ray I tried it not only ripped the main title but ripped other video tracks and merged them. So when played in VLC it would play the movie with all the behind the scenes tracks behind it. I don't know if this will be the case with all my discs at least it is for the one I tried. Before anyone asks I made sure to only check the main title. I tried a second run with the same results.

At least I could use MKVMerge afterwards to remove the offending track and disable the default status of the subtitles. It would be nice to find a program that can set the subtitle default status to no and only rip the one video track in one pass.

As for the video quality. I won't be doing every movie at 4GB per hour it all depends on the title. Something like Ferris Bueller's Day Off or Kramer vs Kramer don't need the bit rate of Alien or The Abyss to look great.

Most of my movies are from the 90's and before. Since most of what comes out now has such poor dialogue and plot. Not to say there isn't some good stuff but it is few and far between.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.