Keeping edited files or just .img files?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by RebootD, Feb 9, 2010.

1. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

I produced a set of videos a year ago today and I was informed the information is now out-of-date and not going to be used again. I've had them on an external drive but all the files take up almost 200GB (all imported videos, FCE files, DVDproj and disc images) but I wanted to ask is it normal to keep all of these indefinitely? I let them keep the unedited tapes (per their contract) but I have digital copies of all 6hrs.

Just curious to see what everyone's workflow is and if you put a time limit on storage beyond keeping a disc image so you can burn more copies in the future.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

.img files are related to CDs and DVDs, meaning they won't be larger than 8.5GiB.

Or do you mean .img files of the video DVD that you seem to have created?

Personally, if I have everything on tape, the media files get deleted, but the project files is backed up and the final edit gets consolidated, so that I can work with that, if I have to.

3. RebootD thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebootD

I meant I have the final DVD files saved as .img files (4GB each), plus digitized un-edited clips (over 60GB) plus each presentation w/edits saved and the FCE backup.. so basically everything that was related to it. The un-edited files are the same as the tapes that they kept.

Thanks for the reply, I will go ahead and just save only what I need to make future edits (mainly I don't need the 60+GB of unedited files etc).