Keeping expired email address emails on iOS

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jmchicago, Jul 3, 2014.

1. jmchicago macrumors member

Hi all-

I have an email address affiliated with a school that I graduated from, and which has recently expired, but would like to keep the archived emails on my idevice to be able to search through as needed. Is there a way to do this? Right now everytime i open mail it prompts me for the password for that account because it's no longer valid. I have tried turning mail "off" for that account but then it removes it from the mail app. Is there a way to keep the account "inactive" i.e. not check for new emails but leave the emails already downloaded "as is"?

Thanks!

2. jmchicago thread starter macrumors member

3. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I don't think this is possible, the way mail works is that it actively needs to authenticate with the mail servers. In effect your account will have expired therefore leaving the mail app unable to sync/pull down mail.

Even if old mail were on the device the only archive feature available is thru the mail account itself.

Unless a 3rd party app can do such a thing?

4. jmchicago thread starter macrumors member

ok, yeah i didn't see any way around it; wish i could turn mail from "fetch/push/manual" to "off". Guess I'll just have to keep cancelling out the password when i open mail app :confused:

5. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

When my son graduated from university, the IT dept sent out emails to all graduates advising them how to migrate their email accounts because their primary university accounts would be available for only 90 days after graduation. Try checking with your alumni services to see if there is anything that they can do for you.

6. border terrier macrumors regular

IMAP would be an issues as would web mail but pop accounts should be fine.

7. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

big job but forward all the mail to another account.

On a Windows machine I run FireFox and it keeps an old email account locally so I can look at it.

Can you change to POP ?? or some other type that doesn't automatically sync across devices