Keeping files synced...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Neo-Tech, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Neo-Tech macrumors regular

Hello,

I have a Windows PC which I use as my primary machine, now I got my MacBook a few weeks ago and I've ran into a slight roadblock. I want to keep all my files synced both ways, so let's say I edited a document on my Mac, later on I want to access it on my Windows PC, could I have it so it syncs both ways? So if I change something on my PC, it changes on my Mac and vice-versa?

Please do help! As I want to use my Mac as primary and not my PC and I must have my files.

Thanks
    Neo-Tech

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

3. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Dropbox or SugarSync should work perfect for you.

4. Neo-Tech thread starter macrumors regular

I don't want the files to go on the Internet though. I want it to sync files from both computers via WLAN. I'm sure this is possible.
    EDIT: I mean local LAN so no connection to the Internet.

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Do you want to keep all the files stored locally, or would you consider some sort of network storage (NAS)? Also, how many files are we talking about? Is it an occasional word document, or is it all of your word documents, music and photos?

6. Neo-Tech thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I have a Windows PC and my MacBook Pro. All my files are on my Windows PC and I want to transfer them to my Mac, I can do this fne as I have an external hard disk which I can copy to. Now the issue is, my files are everchanging on my Windows PC and I think it'll be the same for my Mac. What I want is to be able to sync any new files or updated files from each computer, and vice versa, via my local area network directly. Some files can be pretty big as I regularly download shows and podcasts. I'd rather not invest in anything else at the moment as I've just got a 3GS.

Do you get what I am trying to say now? If you want, I can make a small diagram tomorrow morning. Thanks

7. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Im guessing the OP wants something similar to the MobileMe feature where if you make a change to your calendar, it is uploaded to the cloud then sent to the other PC on the network so changes are instantly available?

However, I don't know how you'd do this locally with files.

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

This is why I suggest MobileMe and specifically the iDisk. 20GB of storage (if you disable email) and it is accessible on both the PC and the Mac, as well as the iPhone. The iPhone will also gain the Find My iPhone feature and remote wipe.

9. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

I agree, this is the best option, but the OP wants to be able to do it without a connection to the internet.

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Then the best option for the larger files is to store them all on the PC and manually copy them to the MBP when they are to be used.

You can't have two primary computers. It just won't work out well. Choose a computer that will be your primary computer and either keep all your files on it and share them, or use the other computer as a file server over the local network.

11. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

I love MobileMe but it sucks when it comes to iDisk. Dropbox implements that type of feature much much better.

12. moral-hazard macrumors regular

Windows live sync (previously foldershare) works great for syncing, and it works with both mac and widows.

You can do it two ways:
    1.) on demand - your computer will download "placeholders" of all the files to be synced, and you can just click them to download the latest version (good if you have very little disk space)

2.) full - everything gets synced (this is the best way to go and by far the simplest)

13. crushedlizard macrumors newbie

+1 iDisk is ok, but Dropbox is far superior. It syncs everything automatically and immediately, and it's free for 2GB.

I don't think you'll find a way without using some sort of cloud server tho - that's the point. It will store things online incase your MBP or PC are turned off. As soon as they turn on, the files are synced.

I hope iDisk eventually evolves to be as good as Dropbox. I mean MobileMe syncs calenders and email very well.

14. btallada9870 macrumors member

I always thought it would be cool if Apple made a program that would sync all of your macs (or PCs) so they're basically the same. For example, I have my music on my MBP and my iMac, and it would be cool if the libraries would sync like ipods to keep everything the same and up to date. The same with files, etc.

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

This.

Neo-Tech, what you are proposing will drive you to insanity within a matter of days or weeks. At the very least, get a time capsule or some other network storage device and use that to keep your main files on.

16. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

is local network storage an option? Format that HD NTFS, and connect it to both machines over the network.

Bang bang, done.

17. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

yep...you know it son....

NAS...BOOM!

18. Neo-Tech thread starter macrumors regular

That's exactly what I want :)
    Thanks a million.

I do have a backup drive for my files, I backup from my main laptop so I have 3 copies, 1 on Mac, 1 on laptop, 1 on Hard Disk.

I really don't have space for a NAS, as much as I have been considering it, space factor is the issue.

If I could convert a my WD MyBook HD to a NAS then no problem.

Sorry for making such a late reply, I got badly side tracked! :(
    Thanks for all your help guys.