Keeping Firewire/Soundcard awake when OSX sleeps?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 4ppleseed, Sep 9, 2012.

1. 4ppleseed macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I have a T.C. Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6 external sound controller connected to my iMac (27" 3.4 i7, Mountain Lion) via Firewire. I use it as my only sound in/out. Looks like this:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/desktopkonnekt6.asp

When the iMac goes into sleep mode it stops power to the DK6 and when I wake the system there are loads of loud pops and cracks as the DK6 is re-powered. It's very annoying and probably damaging my speakers.

Is there anyway I can still use sleep mode but not turn off power to my firewire audio device?

Thanks.

2. 4ppleseed thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm. I'm pretty new to Macs but thought you guys would have nailed this one by now haha. Bump just in case someone who knows the answer missed it? :)

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I don't believe it's possible. If the external card had it's own power supply, it would probably be fine, but the computer turns off those ports while in sleep mode. You could just use display sleep, or try turning off the speaker system, but there's probably not going to be an easy solution.

jW

4. 4ppleseed thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm... but you've just reminded me this unit does have it's own power if you want to use it away from a computer. Might give it a go with the power plugged in and see if it overrides the shut down :cool:

5. Metasonics macrumors newbie

Do not sleep the hard drive(s).

You can still sleep the screen.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

How is this relevant? the OP has a problem with firewire, not HDD or screen.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, he's basically correct. Putting the machine into display sleep only, but not allowing it to go to full sleep would avoid the issue. It would use more power, but the popping would be eliminated.

jW