Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Hey all. So long story short i like to switch between my iphone x and my iphone SE every week or two for various reasons i won't get into. The process is usually pretty easy and simple, i pop in my simcard to the other phone, verify whatsapp which takes 30 seconds total, repair my apple watch and restore from a backup from earlier in the day, which takes just 10 minutes while im doing something else, really not a hassle overall. The only annoying thing is iMessages and more importantly iMessages synced in icloud.
Even though I have both my phones with Messages in iCloud settings turned on, the phone that i am NOT using will never get the messages synced with the conversations that I am getting on the active iphone. For instance, I use my iphone X then 2-3 weeks later I go to my iphone SE, pop in the sim card and everything, and the imessages convos i had over the three weeks on my iphone x dont show up on my SE. or vice versa, even if i keep the SE turned on and on wifi for the three weeks i was using my X, ive even tried that. I even tried setting up the 2nd iphone as a source for text message forwarding like i do when i want my imessages to go to my ipad as well, to no avail. Is there any way to have imessage conversations actually up to date on two phones? maybe not in real time since only one has a sim card at a time, but at least when i switch, it should sync!
any advice?

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Hey all. So long story short i like to switch between my iphone x and my iphone SE every week or two for various reasons i won't get into. The process is usually pretty easy and simple, i pop in my simcard to the other phone, verify whatsapp which takes 30 seconds total, repair my apple watch and restore from a backup from earlier in the day, which takes just 10 minutes while im doing something else, really not a hassle overall. The only annoying thing is iMessages and more importantly iMessages synced in icloud.
Even though I have both my phones with Messages in iCloud settings turned on, the phone that i am NOT using will never get the messages synced with the conversations that I am getting on the active iphone. For instance, I use my iphone X then 2-3 weeks later I go to my iphone SE, pop in the sim card and everything, and the imessages convos i had over the three weeks on my iphone x dont show up on my SE. or vice versa, even if i keep the SE turned on and on wifi for the three weeks i was using my X, ive even tried that. I even tried setting up the 2nd iphone as a source for text message forwarding like i do when i want my imessages to go to my ipad as well, to no avail. Is there any way to have imessage conversations actually up to date on two phones? maybe not in real time since only one has a sim card at a time, but at least when i switch, it should sync!
any advice?
When swapping between iPhones I have issues with this myself even though I have both set to sync messages. It just doesn’t seem to work well in my opinion.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
For some reason, iMessage cloud syncing can have a delay. Don't know why that is, versus other Apple syncing. I experienced what the OP described on several occasions. Can be frustrating but, I wouldn't think of leaving the Apple ecosystem over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.