Keeping icon view when burning a cd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by charlottelovesu, Jul 2, 2008.

1. charlottelovesu macrumors newbie

So I am trying to burn a cd with several sub-folders inside it and keep everything as thumbnails. Everything is set-up in icon view. (Everything on the cd are images just split up into folders and I want them to be viewed in icon view so the end user can easily see the thumbnails when they put in the cd and click on a sub-folder). When I bring it in to toast and burn it and then open it up the folders are burnt as icons/thumbnails but the images inside of them all come up as the generic jpeg icon instead of a thumbnail. Is there something like the thumbs.db file that I can use on a mac & pc? Or is there some other solution?

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Instead of using Toast, did you try just letting the Finder burn the cd?

You can do this by inserting a blank cd into your drive. A CD icon will appear on your desktop (not the actual CD, but an alias of it). You can name it by click on the "untitled" name.

Then just copy your files to it and afterwards arrange the View to "icons". Check the cd on your desktop to see if your previews are showing. If everything looks good, burn it.

3. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

If you're using Toast 8, you can click the More button in the bottom left-hand corner and you can specify which view you want the data to be in (icons, list, panels). You can also specify if you want a background image or color instead of the white background.

4. charlottelovesu thread starter macrumors newbie

Merl1n, thank you for that tip...it works great, except when I try to double click on the thumbnails for each folder it won't do anything...the only way of opening the folders in by changing the view type or by clicking on the name of file...this is a little weird...does anyone know what that is about?

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Are you doing this before or after the burn? When you copy files to it, the files are not actually copied yet. They are just alias pointers to the originals. This may be the problem. Once you select burn, the originals are now copied and burned to the physical CD.

6. charlottelovesu thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the weird thing is that I just realized that the actual folder that I am trying to burn is doing the same thing as the folders that are on the cd...(I guess that makes sense, duh!...my computer and most electronics are definitely smarter than me!)...So i guess the real question is how do I fix this to make the thumbnails clickable/accessible?...

7. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

It sounds like your Finder preferences are screwed up.

Go to ~user/Library/Preferences and delete the following files
    (where ~user is your home directory):

com.apple.finder.plist
    com.apple.FolderActions.plist

Logout and then log back in. These files will be rebuilt to default. Then just go into Finder preferences (under the Finder Menu) and set them to the way you like them.

Try (on your hard drive) double clicking on one of the folders. It should change the window (or open another) and put you into that folder.

If all goes well, then you can try the Finder copy and burn (that I posted before) method for the cd.