Keeping iOS apps in iTunes on my Mac

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Dimwhit, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Does anyone have a good reason why I should keep copies of all the iOS apps on my computer? I'm constantly updating them, but I'm wondering if it's even necessary, since my devices update automatically.

If not, how do I prevent apps from being downloaded to my computer when I sync/backup my iPhone or iPad?

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

There are probably folks that do this successfully, but I see threads in here of people trying to do what you want and having problems. It's not how it's designed to work. But good luck if you decide to try!

What I do is allow iOS7 to update my phone and then every few days go to iTunes and back up the phone (including transferring apps). No need to update in both locations. And as an added bonus, if an app updates on the phone and it has a bug or some other problem, I can roll it back using the older version still in iTunes.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Developers have a choice whether or not to pull an app entirely from your Purchased area. I would keep around productivity apps, games, and utilities, but not apps that require an internet connection.

4. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

If an app gets deleted from the App Store, you can always sync the copy you have stored locally in iTunes.

5. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

Is that true? Developers can do that?

6. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

I am not sure, i know that apps that apple pulls aren't because they can be potentially hazardous but i have never seen an app that a dev has pulled still not available in the download list.