Keeping iPhoto album or file structure

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crich, Feb 22, 2011.

1. crich macrumors newbie

How do I keep the order of my photos as they appear in iphoto folders and albums? Whenever I copy to a new folder outside of iPhoto or burn to a disc, the photos are always in a different order. Am I missing something?

2. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Well, the order changes when you export them to a folder because of the sort order of the folder's contents. If you dump a bunch of photos to a folder and the folder is set to reverse alphabetical order, for example, then all your photos will appear with the highest number or name at the top of the list. If you are naming your photos with alphabetic names (e.g. "Harvest Moon.jpg") then of course that photo will appear in between the "G" photos and the "I" photos.

Perhaps when you export photos it will help you to use the "Sequential" or "Album name with number" options (in the File Name pulldown button). By the way, this is in iPhoto under File->Export. Those are options in the latest version of iPhoto, but previous versions had similar if not identical options.

3. crich thread starter macrumors newbie