Keeping it Charging 24/7 Ruin Battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Finox831, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Finox831 macrumors member

Hey, so I just bought a MBP 13" a few days ago and I have it connected to my monitors at home with the charging cable on. Whenever I need to take my laptop on-the-go I unplug it, which is maybe once or twice a week. Will keeping it charging at 100% battery for long periods at a time ruin the battery life or anything? thanks

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. Battery myths such as this one dates from the old Ni-Cad days and need to die a painful death.

Your cell phone battery is the same type of battery that is in your computer. Charge it and discharge it as you please, you're not going to damage it.

Plug it in when you need to, unplug it when you need to. Just don't leave it plugged in 100% of the time, unplug it once in a while(like, once a month) just to keep the juices flowing.

3. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

No, it'll be fine.

When I first got my mac I worried about this too, no need.

I have hammered my battery for 4 1/2 years and think still in low 90's high 80's capacity...

..worry about something else instead ;)

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Is this for real, or another myth?

5. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

If it's plugged in 24/7, honestly look at an iMac, so much more for the money. But if you at all need the portability, the times when you're not using it at a desk will be more than enough to keep the battery in good health.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

8. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

My 2012 rMBP stayed plugged in most of the time I owned it...When I sold it, 10 months later, it had a total of 6 battery charge cycles.

The battery life was at 101% the day I sold it. I, however, intentionally would unplug it once every few weeks for ~ an hour, whether being used or not.

Since I got the 2013 version, I just plug / unplug as desired..

9. cube macrumors G5

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I see people say this all the time - get an iMac.

BUT - my computer is almost always plugged in at my desk at home or desk at work. An iMac is not going to be a good solution for that.

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Pretty clear he meant plugged in in one place, no-one is suggesting an iMac is portable...

:rolleyes:

12. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

The 90's called, they want their advice back.

Actually, this advice used to be true a long time ago. However, Apple's power management is very smart and does not continually charge the batter when it is plugged in.

Apple even had a video that talked about this with the introduction of the MBP Unibody.

-P

13. exnihilodub macrumors newbie

the battery lifetime is described as 'cycles'. these cycles are the "deplete/charge" amount. Let's say your the manufacturer designated your battery life as "3000 cycles" which means after depleting your battery approximately 3000 times, your battery will not function properly.

When you plug the macbook on charge on a 100% full battery, it feeds itself off of the power supply. So it is more healthy for your battery ( just plug it out while you power off/sleep and to calibrate battery, let it drain completely once in a while). But to make things clear, your battery is still charging itself minimally while on 100% and plugged in. (that's a really minimal charging, nothing to be worried about)

Go to your system information dialog and under Hardware->Power you will see your cycle count. check: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1519 to see your mac's maximum cycle count so you can see where your battery stands.

Also there are some programs showing how much charge your battery could hold when it was out of the factory and how much it can hold now.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is true. Read the official statement from Apple at the link I posted. They say to run it on battery occasionally.

You are correct the Mac portables have circuitry to prevent overcharging, but that is a different issue.

snaky69 is right on target here.

Here is the relevant quote from the article.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Completely draining your battery to calibrate isn't necessary on any of the newer Macs with built in batteries.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1490

16. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Ok just checked my battery after 4 years of abuse my battery is at 93.5%..so based on that about 1.5% a year...so its gonna 10 years to reduce your capacity by about 15%!

Not worth worrying about imo use it as you want :)

17. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

At college last year I leave it plugged in all the times. Do not worry. :apple:

18. Khronoschoty macrumors newbie

I did a lot, I mean a lot of research about batteries, and even specifically the MacBook Pro. In short it's actually healthy to leave it plugged in 24/7 but let it discharge once a month (meaning of course unplugging once a month)

19. pragmatous macrumors 65816

"Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. "

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html