Keeping LTE iPad from "canceling" forever?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sl33pyhead, Apr 3, 2012.

1. sl33pyhead, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

sl33pyhead macrumors member

So after reading pages and pages about this... I'm lost =(

I have just received my iPad a few minutes ago (ordered from school) and am setting up.
    "you have not signed up for a data plan. Would you like to set up a new account? If you don't, you can do it later in Settings." I clicked "Later"

I actually don't want it right now, but if I don't activate for my FIRST time within 5 months will I be blocked?

I went to settings > cellular data > view account > and the only option is to pay for "Recurring Domestic Plan Options"

Why is there only a recurring plan? is that also prepay?

How do I start prepay? I want to start it in a few months.

thank you!

2. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

As long as you don't activate it the first time you're not kept to the 5 month limit... after that first month you'll need to reactivate every 5 months to keep your account... though losing the account isn't THAT big of a deal... you just have to get another SIM card and hopefully 6 months from now VZW will be happy to hand you a new SIM card free of charge after your account closes out.

The only reason for this is that Verizon doesn't want to maintain defunct accounts in their records. So if you haven't activated an account with your current SIM card you don't exist in their system. I personally think a 5 month limit is "fair" but I'd prefer if they gave us a year...

3. sl33pyhead, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

sl33pyhead thread starter macrumors member

Why is there only "Recurring Domestic Plan Options" I'm looking for a prepay option?

and when I cancel, I should choose "Cancel Later" and I should be good?

Thanks a lot!

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

All plans you start from the iPad itself are prepay. That's why it doesn't say it. To do a post-paid plan you need to do through a Verizon store or by calling them.