Keeping mac 24hrs switched on

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iIncepted, Oct 25, 2010.

1. iIncepted macrumors newbie

Hello,

If by any chance you may have come across my other thread, I mentioned that my logic board is not working any more. After searching alot about the problem and talking to Apple Genius, I believe its more of my fault. I keep my laptop on nearly about 24hrs. Just put it in sleep mode to carry it to office and back. When at home I keep the laptop on bed and it remains switched on cauz something or the other is getting downloaded. Also I have the air condition on and off regularly which makes my room some what humid.

Now i am on getting a new mac. My question is what kind of precautions shall I take? I dont want to change the habit of keeping my mac on 24hrs, so if I use a stand on bed will it matter a bit?

Thank you for reading.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Keeping your Mac on all the time probably wasn't what caused your issue.

3. iIncepted thread starter macrumors newbie

agreed, but the conditions i kept it on caused the issue (i guess)

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I keep my MBP and iMac on all the time and have done so ever since I first bought them. The MBP is always traveling around with me in sleep mode from home to church, to work. I've never had any issues with it regarding temperature or humidity. The only time I actually turn them off is when I am at home and a severe thunderstorm is coming through. Then I turn them off and physically unplug them from the wall just in case a surge comes through. I have a nice APC UPS, but, why take a chance?

They only get restarted when Apple pushes updates or an installation requires it.

This is so nice to be able to leave them in sleep mode all the time and know that they actually wake up when I want them to. All my Windows machines in the past couldn't do that effectively or at all. So I had to always turn them off everyday and then start them up again the next day. Not to mention the memory issues with Windows staying on for too long.