Keeping Mac awake or waking it up over the net

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Melab, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Melab macrumors regular

I am going to be away for a few days but I still want to have access to my Mac over the internet. I can use LogMeIn for that, though I haven't tested it yet. The problem here is that it cannot be used when the computer is asleep and its feature to wake up the Mac can only be done from the local network.

So I have three options: set the Mac to stay awake for the whole time I am gone, find a way to wake it up over the internet, or schedule it to wake up every hour on the hour. The thing about the first is that I don't want the screen to get burned in and the third is that thebscheduler provided by Apple only works on a daily basis.

I am wondering if the Mac can stay awake with the screen being black. Can this be done? Or does anyone know how I can schedule hourly wakeups or remotely wake it up? If I need to restart the Mac will I subsequently lose the capability to remotely control it?

I am running Mac OS X Leopard.

2. Silverrune macrumors regular

You can run caffeine, a app on the Mac Store, and turn the display's brightness all the way down. Best I can think of.
    Edit: Nevermind, your on leopard.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Caffeine will temporarily override your energy saver settings and keep your Mac awake with a click on the Menu Bar icon. Another click turns it off.

To keep your Mac notebook awake with the lid closed, use InsomniaX or InsomniaT (rebuild for SL) (fix for 2011 MPBs)

NoSleep also keeps your Mac notebook awake when you close the lid.
    You didn't mention what Mac model you have, but you can turn the screen brightness all the way down.

4. Melab thread starter macrumors regular

It's an iMac from 2009. I mean is there some kind of way that the Mac can be awake but the screen blacked out?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you turn the brightness all the way down, you won't have to worry about image retention. You could also use an all black image as your screensaver.

6. Melab thread starter macrumors regular

It goes black after 15 minutes of inactivity, not to a screensaver. When it has gone to screensaver it's inconsistent.