Keeping macbook / main mac synced?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Diode, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

How do you guys keep your laptops synced with your main computer?

I know dot mac offers this capability but I want something a little cheaper (I'm a college student).

I've looked at SyncTogether but think its a little buggy / I want something a little more automatic (you have to launch the program to sync).

I've also tried spanning sync and busy sync but while I like them they only do ical (I want at least being able to sync my address book).

Are there any more good programs out there?

Thanks!

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

i think the migration assistant can do what you're looking for. i did it with my ibook and sawtooth via firewire.

3. Diode thread starter macrumors 68020

Diode

I mean more along the lines of a continous thing. The migration is just one time.

4. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

I had this same issue when I bought my MBP...I wanted to keep the files on it updated along with the files on my PC. In the end, I just stopped using my PC and now use my MBP solely, with some external harddrives for backup/running other stuff.

5. Diode thread starter macrumors 68020

Diode

Files for me aren't the issue its mainly the calander and contacts and I'm going mac to mac ... it looks like .mac is the only decent option. I'm just wondering if there are any cheaper third party options as all I would use .mac would be for syncing($100 / year just for the syncing option is a little much imo)

6. indierthanthou macrumors member

7. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Try martian slingshot, it does everything but email which is fine if you have a webmail or IMAP account.

8. Diode thread starter macrumors 68020

Diode

Ahh cool thanks for the tip