Keeping MBP alive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmcube, Mar 29, 2015.

1. jmcube macrumors member

First I bought a 2012 MBP15 in early 2013 for work. I probably can't get a new work laptop until next year. I got a MP last year so, other than for conferences, I am OK.

My MBP has been awesome. It survived 2 coffee spills and 1 water spill. I took it in the first two times and as told that no damage could be seen. It has also fallen more times than I can count (I have a young child at home and I mostly use it at home now).

Yesterday nothing particularly bad happened to it. We went out and in the evening when I returned home the 2-key and the w-key were not working. (The night before the backlight did not work)

As I said, I probably can't get a new work computer until next year. With the MP a MB or rMBP13 is my ideal. But forget about that, how do I keep this MBP productive at home until I can replace it?

Is there a way to get key functionality back? Should I just set it on a desk and use a keyboard and mouse? Advice welcome!

(It has definitely taken the most punishment of any laptop I have ever had, the previous record holder was my first laptop, a quantex from 1998)

JM

2. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

Psh, 2012? Amateur. :p (mine is a 2007)

I don't know about keyboard replacements for the 2009+ models, but maybe a Mac-certified repair shop near you can give you an idea of repair costs. Otherwise, yeah, the simplest (and cheapest) solution is to just plug in a keyboard and mouse. Look on the bright side: it'll be better than your laptop's keyboard.

3. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

I think the real problem is you and your family. You really need to take care of your stuff better. Considering the rMBP is way harder to repair I'd never recommend you getting one under these circumstances.

4. blaine07 macrumors 65816

Really dude? Life happens, family happens... If he's ok for accepting responsibility of his environment then why is it of any concern of ours? Are we being held financially obligated for the circumstances in which his environment MAY have created? OP seems smart, he likely knew very well have a MacBook around family and a lot of people can be potentially hazardous.

Regardless, yes get you a wireless keyboard and mouse perhaps to limp by with.

5. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

Yeah, because when you buy an Apple product, theres a clear discretion that states "Not intended to be used with/around families.

Anyways, I do know from my friends who work at the Bar that they do keep spare/repacement keycaps in stock. Maybe book a Genius bar appointment to see if they can do something. I do know that on eBay, you buy replacement keys individually for about $4 a piece. And yes, you did read that right: individually.

6. FrtzPeter macrumors member

The problem is probably the keyboard itself. I would look at:

http://ifixit.com

and see how difficult the job is. You might want to take it to the Apple store and let them evaluate it but they'll probably just tell you the same thing, and then you'll have to listen to a barrage of their salesmen trying to get you to buy a new unit. Prices at the Genius bar are extremely high. A number of people sell parts like that on eBay harvested out of good units, so that may be a low cost way to get one.