Keeping MBP as new as possible.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jukes316, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Jukes316 macrumors regular

I ordered a MBP and should be getting it any day now. But I was wondering, should I buy anything to protect my MBP from scratches or just everyday type use stuff?
    My white 09 macbook has little scratches that can be seen in light at an angle. Do the new MBP get that?
    I'm sure it is different material, but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for any responses.

2. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

You don't need to buy anything. Just never take it out of the box.

3. troop231 macrumors 603

I received my new MBP yesterday, and I also received the Speck SeeThru case along with a Moshi Clear Guard keyboard protector. Both are doing really well so far, I recommend them both highly.

4. cnixon macrumors member

I'm a nut when it comes to taking care of my electronics, so I can relate.

I had an 11 inch Air for about 6 months, and now I have a MacBook Pro.

The aluminum body is actually more durable than I thought it was going to be. Bumped my Air a couple times, and I was surprised there was absolutely no physical damage.

Just be careful with it, and keep it in a sleeve or something when you're moving it. Should be just fine.

The biggest problem I had was keeping the thing clean. Be sure to get something to wipe the oils from your hand of the keyboard, and something to clean the screen and body.

5. Jukes316 thread starter macrumors regular

6. ABadSanta macrumors regular

Perhaps look into a sleeve that covers the computer while its in your bag. It will definitely offer protection to the aluminum finish.

7. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

Agreed, I have one for mine and at almost 2 years old it still looks like new. Keep food and other sticky stuff away from it and wash your hands before using it. Also get some wipes to clean the screen.

8. WickedPuddin macrumors member

I recommend a hardshell (made by speck.) I ordered my first one a while ago and just got my second. Had a problem with it though so i sent it back and the great support sent me a replacement right away

9. randomrazr macrumors 65816

incase neoprene sleeve plus, that is a must.

incsae hardshell or speck hardshell. u dont really need them but buy the sleeve first and if u think u need a case, go for it. there 50 bucks though XD

moshi clergaurd keyboard cover.

thats bout it.

no matter what ur macbook pro will get some sort of scratch or little nick somewhere when u own it. unless u cover the entire thing and never use it, than yeah brand new but than whats the point?

enjoy the computer while it lasts. u will eventually buy a new one again.

youtube.com/randomrazr

made reviews for both of those things

hope this helps

10. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

I've never used one on any of the mac laptops I've had. I've also only ever had one scratch and it was barely visible. Use it. Enjoy it. Don't wipe it with a diaper. The aluminum is pretty resilient and you'll get through those first scary weeks where you handle it like a newborn... :) Get s sleeve for transit and you'll be set.

Simply:

a) Don't drop it.
    b) Don't pour coffee on it (or any other consumable liquid).
    c) Not to be used as a frying pan, plate or other kitchen utensil (university students, try pizza boxes for plates instead, sometimes multi use).
    d) It's been blended so don't worry about trying that.
    e) It is an excellent frisbee but this can lead back to a)
    f) if used for pr0n, give it some distance

Enjoy your new laptop :apple:

11. blackbinary macrumors member

As others have said, all you really need is a sleeve for transport.

You have to be careful setting it down and moving it without the sleeve, particularly because the feet on the bottom are very small and thin, so its easy to scratch the bottom's aluminum if you put it down at a weird angle, etc.

The hardcovers aren't really necessary unless your rough with it, in my opinion.

12. Alexjones, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

Alexjones macrumors 6502

This is not a plug. Buy a Speck outer sleeve. It looks nice and protects your computer 24/7. Fits like a glove. I highly recommend it.

13. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

That's the biggest problem I had. Te MBP has really small "bumpers", and actually makes setting your laptop down/moving it along a desk really nerve-wracking. Buy a Speck case, it'll help you with pretty much everything.

14. MJNBGA macrumors regular

15. Jukes316 thread starter macrumors regular

THanks for all the responses guys.
    I'm probably mostly worried about the little scratches from moving around my desk or around the house.
    If those speck sleeves one are the same as what my buddy has. Those are pretty nice. Might have to look into one once done paying off the MBP hahaha.

16. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

I had a 13" mbp for almost 2 years and sold it in pristine condition with no scratches, etc. It traveled in an incase bag, but I didn't have any kind of case or sleeve on it, but I did have a clear film on the trackpad and a micro-suede wrist pad for the palm rest area to protect it from pitting from skin oils. I've got the same protection for the 15" that I now have but I also have Power Support's body film for the top and bottom. The only problem with the body film is that it doesn't cover from edge to edge. If you are careful, you shouldn't get any nicks or scratches in the aluminum. :)

17. Merks macrumors newbie

First post, so hi :)

I got mine about 2 weeks ago after having 3 HP laptops break over the last 5 years, I wanted a change.

Now, not that it happened, but what if something gets underneath a key on the keyboard? Would anything other than canned air help it get out?

And do you guys have screen protectors on yours? Not that I'm going to go out and buy one, just wanted your opinions :D

18. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

You'll likely get more responses if you start your own thread.

19. duncanbrodie1 macrumors member

I think the Macbook Pro ages very nicely. Let it get dirty and worn. It looks better

20. randomrazr macrumors 65816

moshi clear gaurd is all u need for that