Keeping MBP clean.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BreakGuy, Dec 27, 2011.

1. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Anyone know any good ways to keep my MBP clean? Everyday it seems to be getting dusty and crap getting stuck to the aluminum and keyboard, fingerprints all over the screen (which are the worst to try and get off) and spending 10 - 20min trying to clean it everyday just isn't working.

What can I do?

2. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

You could try to stop being so anal about keeping it clean :p

It's going to get dirty, scratched, scuffed, dinged, finger prints on it... you name it. It's going to be used. My best advice is just wipe it down to keep it relatively clean and don't try to keep it mint. You will drive yourself crazy.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've had my current MBP for over 3 1/2 years. I occasionally (maybe monthly) wipe it down with a damp paper towel... nothing more. It still looks the way it did when I first took it out of the box. Just relax and enjoy your Mac!

4. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I expect it to get dirty and grubby yes, but I also expect to be able to implement some measures to minimize this.

It's not exactly the best when you give your laptop to someone to use and it's covered in crap because you can't keep it clean.

5. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

Your computer gets dirty enough that you have to spend 10-20 minutes cleaning it everyday? And why are you touching your screen so much?

Maybe try wearing gloves...

6. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

One design flaw I feel is the way the screen opens. It's next to impossible to open the screen without putting fingerprints on the screen.

Gloves, impractical :rolleyes:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No need to wear gloves. Just make sure your hands are clean before using your computer. Also, you can open it easily without touching the screen. It just takes trying until you get used to it.

8. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

Stop touching your computer screen and clean your hands before using it.

9. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

I am a screen nazi, err, I like my screen finger print proof - That's how I always know someone used it. Other than that, just get one of those cO2 dusters and use your screen cloth, should be fine. :apple:

10. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Yeah.. I think you SHOULD make sure your hands are CLEANER before you touch it for sure.. and unless you have NO Fingernails and Huge Fingers I would guess opening the Lid should not require a grubbing of the screen.. :eek:

As for cleaning the basic MBP, I am on my third one since 2006 and have always used a 'damp NOT wet' lint free cloth to wipe it, and then a dry one to finish.. If you have Static Issues in your house, that might well be a Humidity problem.. Maybe.. Otherwise, use it and enjoy it.. :apple:

11. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

Microfiber is the way to go on the screen. Definitely no paper towels as that is a really good way to scratch it up bad.

I don't even touch the screen to open it up though. I just put my thumb on the top of the lid where the indent is push it open. My biggest worry is the keys so I just wipe it down after I use it.

12. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

Whenever I close my computer, I use a Radtech screensavrz protector. It's a special cloth that is placed between the keys and the screen when you close the lid. You can also use it to clean the screen. I also have a Gelaskins on the outside of the lid to protect it and a Power support clear film on the bottom. In addition, I have a Power Support palm guard and track pad protector on it. I've always used these products and when I resell my laptop prior to buying a new model, I always get top dollar because it is in such pristine condition. Oh, and don't eat or drink over the keyboard!

13. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

Sorry... Didn't mean to sound obnoxious about the fingerprints. After the other posts, I noticed that there are fingerprints all over the bezel on my MBP screen. I guess I never really noticed before (I have the black bezel). I can understand the frustration you're feeling. I have no solutions for that unfortunately.

As for the other dust and crap, I just do what GGJstudios does; wipe it down every month or so with a damp microfiber towel.

Also, I use Q-tips to clean between the keys on my keyboard.

14. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

RadTech screen protector and OmniCleanz.

I just sold a three year old MBP that looked like new...

15. Axiosion macrumors newbie

I tend to clean my MacBook Pro by spraying a homemade solution of 1 part isopropyl alcohol (99%) and 4 parts distilled water onto a 3M microfiber cleaning cloth (the kind that's made for cleaning glass). It's definitely cheaper than buying cleaning solution at a retail store, it lasts forever, and does a fantastic job of keeping the computer looking clean.