Keeping MobileMe email (for now) but creating new iCloud to test the waters?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by madget, Oct 21, 2011.

1. madget macrumors newbie

I have a MobileMe address that I'm not ready to move to iCloud yet (too many emails kept on the server that I reference between multiple computers). Once those are organized and backed up I'll make the switch. In the meantime, can I set up an iCloud account with a new user name/email address to just try things out. Then, when I'm ready to switch my MobileMe account over can I go back to using the updated MobileMe account as my main iCloud address? From what I understand you can set-up three iCloud accounts. Just wasn't sure if the first one you set-up works any differently than the subsequent accounts?

2. TomH TX macrumors regular

Excellent question. I have been wondering the exact same thing, and will look forward to seeing if anyone has an answer to this for you. I was thinking that I would do the same - generate a new MobileMe address, and just test the system before I committed to migrated my existing real address.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I believe you can create 3 separate accounts and won't be related to each other. So you can create a "test" account and then when you're ready to migrate over, you could and just leave the "test" account.

4. TomH TX macrumors regular

OK, I just did it. I set up a new "test" account, using a totally new apple id based on a new ".me" name, and new password. As soon as I got it created, I immediately went into settings and Unchecked mail, contacts, calendar, etc..., because I do NOT want to mess up my existing PAID mobile me service. All that I am using the NEW cloud account for right now is "data", and find my friends. I now have it set up on my MBP, Ipad2 and iphone4. I will let y'all know how it goes. Main thing is I want to make sure it does NOT trash my paid MM acct until I am ready to migrate.

5. madget thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, please, let us know how it goes... I'm planning a weekend of backups and updates -- so I might do the same "test" once all my devices are up to date.