Keeping Mrs Ski Happy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr Ski 73, May 16, 2010.

1. Mr Ski 73 macrumors regular

Hi

I currently have a 15" MBP 2.2 SR and a 24" Imac 2.4 both with 4GB of RAM.

My iMac lives in a study upstairs in my house and my Mrs likes to sit downstairs. In the evening I regularly get shouted it for sitting upstairs playing with my iMac and being anti-social :rolleyes: The MBP lives downstairs and as a result of the above I spend a lot of time surfing downstairs and the Mrs likes using the mac downstairs as well. We also travel the UK in a caravan and it is very useful for processing photo's on the ove

I am also a very keen amateur photographer and use Capture One to process all my RAW files. This I prefer to do on my imac as it has more screen space, I also like viewing my photo's on a good quality screen (my iMac)

My iMac has a bit of a fault in that when it gets hot the screen flickers a bit which is rare but would probably cause me problems if I ever try and sell it, it is also out of applecare. I guess that in its existing condition the most I would get after allowing for the fault would be £500 so it is probably not worth selling.

I have enough money to spend on either a 27" iMac or a 17" MBP with ACD plus a iPad if I want. I want to upgrade my lineup and get a quicker machine but dont want to waste it on something that will sit upstairs unused.

Any opinions welcome.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Do you have space for iMac downstairs? Do you have TV downstairs? You can hook your MBP to the TV to get bigger screen.

I would get iMac if you have space for it but if you don't, MBP is the best choice. iMac + iPad sounds very nice though

3. Mr Ski 73 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I have a TV downstairs. I can hook the MBP up to it but the IQ on a TV vs a proper monitor is substantial.

Moving the iMac downstairs is not an option I am afraid. :(

4. KushGandhi macrumors newbie

As the above poster said, MBP + Tv would be the best. If not I would buy a 15inch MBP with an i7 + a ACD. It's all personal opinion though.

5. Cricketman macrumors regular

Sounds like the 17" is perfect for you. Great for surfing downstairs plus it has the power+screen real estate to professionally edit on the go. Hell, even a 15" would be fine.

17"+iPad sounds pretty good.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Then 17" MBP seems to be the best choice as you don't have space for iMac. 17" has amazing screen though, it's great for photos but 27" iMac is still better

7. Mr Ski 73 thread starter macrumors regular

I have the space but not downstairs :confused:

I have been thinking and I reckon I have 3 options

1. Sell my 24" iMac if I can and get a 27" for upstairs then an ipad for the lounge

2. Get a 17" as a standalone, but then have 2 macs

3. Sell my iMac, get a 17" and ACD.

mmmmm, choices :eek:

8. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

another way...

How about getting a 15" low spec'd machine and keep the imac. You do not sound like you need the power of any iX Processor. It is nothing wrong with having two macs either ;) If flickering is really that rare you always have the choice to use it for heavy work or if mrs is not at home - and save a lot of money (for your camera or maybe a weekend trip).

9. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

get two 15 2.4 i5 for yourself and your wife so when you go downstairs you two have your own laptop and both can use mac at the same time and stay downstairs and be social too

and thenn

get a good Samsung LED for 400$ 24inches and you can buy keyboard and mouse too

but one more thing if just you two guys live at home i mean no child so why would you buy an imac cuz when you guys leave then there is nobody to use it

if i was you and did not need much power that's what i would do for sure

10. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

11. Mr Ski 73 thread starter macrumors regular

Very good sensible advice this. The heaviest workload I have is processing RAW fles, is this really going to be any faster and easier with an upgraded processor. If the answer is no then I am probably wasting my money.

" get a good Samsung LED for 400$ 24inches and you can buy keyboard and mouse too"

Which Samsung are you recommending, this is interesting.

"but one more thing if just you two guys live at home i mean no child so why would you buy an imac cuz when you guys leave then there is nobody to use it"

I think you are saying the imac would be redundant, am I right?

12. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

You wont notice the difference in processing raw files. If you would do a lot of video, then yes the i7 would be better. But in this case you should use the imac for it so in the end no reason to outspec the 15".