Keeping music and video in different places

Discussion in 'iPod' started by acharris76, Aug 4, 2008.

1. acharris76 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Since iTunes started selling TV shows and then movies, my library has grown in size from 60gb of music to an additional 115gb of video content.
    Together with everything else, it means that my 250gb internal hard drive on my macbook is almost full.
    I have a wireless home network which includes a Time Capsule (only used for backups and I'm happy to leave it that way as it works fine!) and a separate 320gb Iomega NAS.
    What I want to do is the following. I want to keep my music stored locally on the macbook internal hard drive. I want to keep all the video content on the Iomega NAS. But I only want to have one library.
    My reasons are as follows:
    (a) i want to be able to sync all media to my iphone.
    (b) i will change the music on my iphone more regularly than the video content - I am therefore happier for it to take longer to sync video (as it will have to get the data over the home network) than for music which it will sync locally.
    (c) also my ipod only holds music so again having the music stored locally will mean the sync is quicker.
    Ideally I then want to be able to set up some backup software to backup the video on the Iomega NAS to the TC - for this I am going to use an old win xp desktop which is also connected to the home network as I can leave it on and schedule sync toy to run in the middle of the night without annoying anyone!
    Does anyone know whether any of this is possible and if so how I go about doing it?
    So far, I have copied the entire itunes music folder to the NAS. Obviously I can delete the music content leaving just the video content.
    Unless anyone has any other ideas or suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Anthony

2. acharris76 thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to say that I also have an apple tv box which syncs most music and video content - the only thing it doesn't sync is dvds which I have converted to be able to watch on my iphone - doesn't seem any point seeing as I own the dvds themselves!