keeping music my itunes music on my windows machine but letting my mac use it

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ljonesj, Nov 22, 2009.

1. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

Ok can i want to keep my music on my external hd for my itunes in windows but can i let my mac use the drive to copy music and videos to it and let my windows machine use it too. I think the playlist would would not copy right.

This is done by letting windows share the drive that has the music folder in it.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

It should copy over fine. I'm almost certain there is an "import playlist" option in iTunes. So first bring in the music with the Import option then import the playlist ;)

3. ljonesj thread starter macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

I got my windows laptop to use the drive that is on my other windows machine through sharing the drive the only thing i did was export library play-list. I want to do the same thing to the mac as its a mini and the i tunes home sharing does not have my playlist or the movies and TV shows in a play-list its just a big jumble and i dont want that.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Just do the exact same thing, iTunes is iTunes on both sides and the mac can read the drive fine. Export the playlist and add it to your Mac iTunes. Also remember that iTunes 9 has a feature called home sharing, check it out ;) with home sharing everything you do on your main computer effects the Mac and the other computer.

5. ljonesj thread starter macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

ug the laptop is showing some duplicates that the other machine does not show as duplicates and vice versa and i think i deleted something off the the laptop for the sake of me i cant find the music i deleted in the other itunes

i found which ones luckly i keep another music folder as a back up for the backup