Keeping my Ipad 1 for the jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by 3goldens, May 1, 2011.

1. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

I have a brand new ipad one that Apple just replaced and I was going to sell it on Ebay but thought, if this jb isnt coming out anytime soon, why not keep the damm thing.

I will never at this point make anywhere near my money back so I might as well keep it as a back up of sorts. Think I'll get a cheap Otter box for it and use it as the bang around pad for the gym and what not.

I like having one that is really Jail broke. That way the new one can stay in great shape so I can sell it at the tip of the market when the next one comes out!

2. Funso macrumors member

3. JSalig macrumors 6502

I held on to my ipad 1 for the same reasons even though I can easily afford an ipad 2. After waiting months for a jailbreak for ios 4.2.1, I decided to wait for ipad 2 to be jailbroken before buying it. Now I'm not even going to bother. Ipad 1 suits my needs well enough.

4. Zermelo macrumors regular

If more people thought about their need for a jailbreak before buying the iPad 2, you wouldn't see all these threads asking about when the jailbreak is coming out. The bottom line is that buying an item thinking that it will be jailbroken quickly or without knowing the status of the jailbreak is silly.

5. Hackint0sh814 macrumors member

I have to agree... point to this thread? :confused:

6. musicmax, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011

musicmax macrumors member

Indeed. I'd have liked to have had the additional RAM and CPU power of the 2, but the combination of the JB and AT&T's $529/64GB deal were too much to pass up, and with FakeClockUp or Springtomize the 1 runs faster than the 2 for a lot of stuff anyway :D

7. 3goldens thread starter macrumors 68000

3goldens

The point?
    There needs to be a point?
    I didn't know there had to be a point to a thread!

Have you by chance read 3/4's of the other threads people post?

If there was a point, I guess it would be that I'm sick of waiting around for the iPad 2 jailbreak and missing more and more the way I had become accustomed to using my iPad.

Making a decision not to ditch a perfectly good original iPad in favor of a new one, that while it has few new features, they are not half as important, to me, as how much I like the customizations a jail break allows me and I was used to using.

8. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I agree, I just went for the ATT 3G 64gb deal -$429, killer deal. the 32 and 64 are the same price. I have the iPad2 but it was an impulse buy but I sold my orig iPad1 3G 32gb for more than I paid for it (with the sought after Unlimited plan).

but without the JB, I find I use the iPad 2 much less than the jailbroke iPad1. so I'm going back to the now half price iPad 1 64gb 3G for a while too.

9. Funso macrumors member

No one is disagreeing with you.

We're just wondering why you went to the troube of telling us "Hey, I am going to use an Ipad 1!"

10. Zermelo macrumors regular

Not for nothing, but why would you buy an iPad 2 when there was no publicly released jailbreak? And no release date imminent if the jailbreak was so important?

You could have saved yourself a lot of trouble and money, by thinking about your needs before the purchase. Buying something in anticipation of a release by a small group of people who work on a project non-professionally and have no accountability to anyone is questionable to say the least and you have no one to blame but yourself.

People should have learned from the past that there is no guarantee or "regular timeline" for a jailbreak or unlock release.

If you're buying the iPad 2 or iPhone 5 in the future, unless there is an actual jb release, don't buy it in ANTICIPATION of one.

11. gigaguy macrumors 65816

That's uninformed, the history of jailbreaks have seen many, if not most, jailbreaks coming surprisingly often, just trailing FW upgrades.
    I don't think it was that far-fetched to think the iPad2 would follow those trends.
    now, if we were talking Unlocks for the iphone I would agree, those are less frequent with longer intervals between new unlocks.

12. Hackint0sh814 macrumors member

I'm sorry, but this I find hard to believe. :confused:

13. Zermelo, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011

Zermelo macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F191 Safari/6533.18.5)

What's uninformed is to think that from a little over a 5 year release history with essentially 4 different devices that you can draw broad patterns. Also it is unreasonable, with the changing members and different pieces of hardware and interests of the dev team that you can make generalizations about a releases. That is just silly and shortsighted. But keep assuming that jailbreaks will always come fast and buying hardware in anticipation and then waste money selling it back. I hope that works out for you.

14. 3goldens thread starter macrumors 68000

3goldens

Just felt like it!

15. 3goldens thread starter macrumors 68000

3goldens

Thanks for the tips, I'll take them into consideration before making future purchases.

Could you explain the term you use "Not for nothing"?

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not sure if the way Zermelo used that phrase quite fits with standard usage.

There's the phrase "All that effort was for nothing" (or other similar usages), which means all the effort didn't result in any gains, that is, the effort was wasted.

From there you get "All that effort was not for nothing," which means there were some results, that the effort was not a complete waste.

So "not for nothing" means something isn't a complete waste, that there's some value to it, even if it isn't much.