Keeping my Macbook clean!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmack549, Nov 11, 2007.

1. jmack549 macrumors 6502

Okay, I'm getting a Macbook soon, and have a few questions. I have a friend that got a Macbook about 6 months ago, and the thing is DISGUSTING. his palm rests are almost black, and I can't even stand to use it.

Does this happen to every Macbook?

Is there a way to prevent it?

If not, is there an easy way to clean it with absolutely no risk of scratching the laptop?

2. admiraldennis macrumors regular

Somehow I have never had this problem on my iBook G4, even after 4-5 years of often daily use. Either I have really clean hands or I just don't rest my palms on my laptop.

The best way to clean it off would probably be Clorox Wipes or something similar. Such things shouldn't be used on the LCD, but should be perfectly fine on polycarbonate.

3. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

4. BadlyDrawnGirl macrumors member

Four words: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

This thing is your ultimate weapon against white Macbook grunge. Cut one up into little cubes, put a tiny bit of water on it to activate the cleaning solution (not too much water, especially not near the trackpad) and just buff gently. At first it'll look like the smudges are just getting wiped around, but eventually you'll be able to wipe up 99% of the dirt.

Obviously don't use this on the screen though. Any regular iKlear-type substance should be fine for that.

5. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

qft

I use it once every few days and it works fine. Thinking about getting the Moshi Palm Guard so I don't have to do it anymore. I have no idea why the Magic Eraser is the only item that works.

6. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

The palm guard is fantastic. Worth every penny because its so durable and does not feel cheap or skin like at all. It is slightly textured and keeps clean very nicely. Easy to apply and reapply (if you make a mistake in alignment). Cut PERFECTLY to your macbook or pro...the only downfall is that trackpad sticker for protection sucks. But other than that...moshi all the way.

7. Mash2K7 macrumors newbie

how about when u take it off? does it leave marks like adhesive or stickers do?
    or is it like brand new?