Keeping my Macbook, heres why.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by usernames.taken, Apr 29, 2015.

1. usernames.taken macrumors member

usernames.taken

2. SBruv macrumors 6502

Wiggedy-word!

I've had a 1.3 on order since minutes after they went live, and I finally got to see one in store yesterday. I was deeply relieved to discover that:

1. The UI lag is essentially the same as on my 2015 13" rMBP (which I'm selling), so I've grown accustomed to it already.

2. The size is perfect.

3. The keyboard's awesome –*took to it like a duck to water.

4. The build, look, screen and general vibe are just stunning.

5. There's an awful lot of overstated nonsense trumpeted on this forum.

May 8-14 can't come soon enough. ;)

3. Maclee2010 macrumors member

I have been testing mine for 11 days now. I like it a ton. I have not experienced any of the "compromises" that are mentioned. It just works like a macbook does, but in a new and more delightful package.

To your comment on "nonsense trumpeted", imho, this is a wise statement. There are a lot of Apple haters out there in the wild and present here, and why wouldn't there be...success begat envy begat negativity. If you are not successful and/or on the road to being successful in your life, it is very likely that a new Apple computer will be seen as "out of budget" and rendered inferior based on cost, but most of that is just covering up for the budget issue. I am good with everyone else thinking the new macbook is a dog, etc. the computer market always responds to a product based on the reality of said product. This one is a keeper for most users in spite of what those negative narcissistic personalities may have to pick at. They are merely looking for attention and a response.

4. troubleonline macrumors 6502a

troubleonline

Sounds perfect to me then :D:D:D:D:D

5. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Next time can you not post such a long, drawn-out explanation. I got bored reading your reasoning about halfway through. I had to go get a coffee to make it through the entire thing. ;) ;)

----------

Have had mine for two and a half weeks, and you said it perfect. I agree 100%

----------

You said it very well. Kinda a backhanded slap, but completely accurate. The psychology of those who are trashing the product are one of two types of people. One is like you said, or to be more blunt, they can't afford it so they trash it. This seems to be so common with high-end products. I think the second is people who are just bitter. They bought a laptop 6 months ago and they can't justify changing again. Oh wait... that was me, I bought a 2014 Air in October 2014... I was able to easily justify upgrading (yes, HUGE upgrade). So I guess it's just the cost consideration.

Now with that said I'm off to the Tesla forums to talk trash about how their horrible cars and overpriced and under-spec'd not even being able to drive 200 miles without stopping to charge, and how my 2 year old Hyundai is way better and that nobody should ever spend the Tesla-tax and anyone who buys it is incompetent and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah .

LOL

6. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

My Apple products last far longer than my non-Apple products so I look at the cost as having to replace a Windows laptop every 3 years making its cost x2 or buying a 6 year Macbook.

7. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

i replace my computer every 3 years. Regardless if it's broken or not.

only difference is... I am able to sell the mac at much higher price than other laptops.

i.e: X200 Lenovo: bought at 1200, sold at 200
    15 inch rMBP: bought at 2200 sold at 1000

now, it's still not as good "value" as others, but resell value is important if you like to upgrade as frequently as me.

8. JKNorth macrumors member

Indeed. Click-bait threads about "Why I hate product X and anyone that likes it is stupid" seem to get a ton of attention and responses.

I wrote up a review of my MacBook that said it works great, no issues, and here's why I like it and I got two responses.

9. vanimal macrumors 6502a

Keeping my wife, here's why....

She will steal all my Money!!!!! :eek::D

10. Spin Spin Sugar macrumors newbie

Totally agreed about the keyboard. It's a good keyboard .. can't understand what all the noise was about.

11. usernames.taken thread starter macrumors member

usernames.taken

The up and down arrow keys are objectively stiffer,not as flexible, and they are harder to hit accurately while navigating. They seem to need to be hit right in the exact middle for accuracy. Definitely a down point.

(The height of the keys themselves are no big deal, you can get used to them. Unless you happen to be a super keyboard snob. Its a big deal to some because people are naturally resistant to change)

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Fair enough, I think this laptop will be a good machine for lots of people. I wonder how the sales will go, after the initial glow of a new toy wears off and people look to find a tool that best fits their need.

Given the reports of people returning it, I think consumers need to do their homework and see if this is a good fit or not.

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Now I'm a believer....

I really had doubts about it, based upon all the negative reviews and bashing I've read about it, mostly on this forum.

I'm not editing the next summer blockbuster movie on the go, but I am a professional in my late 40's who shleps a laptop out of his office every day to access web based information, view scanned pdf's of documents, make notes and annotations and return emails during downtime.

LOVE the size, weight, form factor, keyboard (after a bit of adjustment period), battery life and screen. I've bounced around between MBA's (***** screen, don't even get me started), 13" rMBP's (a bit heavy and thick in the briefcase to haul everyday) and iPad keyboard folio combos (limited by screen size, iOS limitations, and less than optimal keyboards). For me, the nMB is firmly in the Goldilocks zone.

Could it be just a bit better? Of course. I wouldn't mind just a bit more horsepower; there's a bit of a wait in accessing scanned documents from Dropbox. 13" MBA battery life would be appreciated. If I spend more than half a day out on location, I'm eyeing over outlet locations but it hasn't completely conked out on me yet. I'd really like one legacy usb port, but the lack of one has only been a temporary inconvenience once or twice.

I suspect like a lot of other people, I was waiting for Apple to release a Macbook Air with a retina display. But I no longer think or hesitate for a second before throwing its baby brother in a bag.

I am slightly disappointed to have to buy a female usb to usb c adapter for $19 ($1300 laptop, and this wasn't included? Really?), but it's compensated for by being able to buy male usb to usb c cables for $12 on Amazon as spare chargers. I'll miss magsafe and will have to be more mindful of how charging cords are positioned, but I won't miss giving Cupertino $60 or more for spare chargers. IF usb c becomes the new standard, having it will be a big plus for the macbook. And if it doesn't, it's not new territory for Mac users after firewire and thunderbolt.

I also have no doubt that this is going to parallel the 2008 MBA and come down in price while gaining more power and features in two or three years. But I don't think I'm paying or will be paying the premium that those first adopters did when they couldn't sell their three year old $1800 machines for a third of the original price. I think of it as being on the edge of a knife rather than that of a razor.

For my relatively modest needs of a secondary travel computer, the nMB serves it purpose well. If I were a graphics designer or student in my teens or twenties that needed a general purpose computer to do some heavier lifting for the next three or four years, I would look elsewhere. To each his or her own.

14. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

It is clear this MacBook has a specific target market. Just with all the laptop lines, each line is specific to a user's needs. The Retina MacBook is no different. Personally, this laptop fits exactly what I need on a daily basis better than the MacBook Air line and MacBook Pro line.

15. newellj macrumors 601

Apple took a giant leap forward with this. I guess it's foreseeable that there are a lot of critics, though none (or almost none? haven't been keeping count) of the critics seems to have owned one and almost none have even touched one for a a few minutes in a store. It's a great computer and a great achievement. More companies should try exercising consistent, forward-looking vision like this. Not a fanboy, but not an unthinking hater, either. :apple: