Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pooky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2003
Due to space restrictions, I'm not able to set up my desk/workspace in our flat, so it's all going out in the garage. The temp is mild there most of the day, never gets too hot, but I'm worried about keeping the macbook out there overnight. I left it out there one night, and the metal was very cold to the touch. Right now it probably doesn't get below 4 C (about 40 F) at night, and it's usually closer to 10 C (50 F). In the winter it probably occasionally drops down to freezing.

I'm sure the cold isn't great for the battery, anyone have any ideas about other components that might have problems? Except for the battery, is it ok to leave out there?

Thanks!

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
I would think its ok, as long as moisture isnts able to accumulate around the components.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Quick question...

Um, isn't part of a laptop's allure that you can just close it and take it anywhere? If you're worried, just take it with you at the end of the day...

pooky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2003
appleretailguy said:
Um, isn't part of a laptop's allure that you can just close it and take it anywhere? If you're worried, just take it with you at the end of the day...

Of course, and some days I do exactly that. Other days, I take it with me everywhere, and want to leave it out there to charge overnight. Again, there's no good place to locate the charger inside. Basically, it comes down to laziness - I don't want to have to move the charger around constantly.

Saluki Alex

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Illinois
These are some of the environmental requirements for the MBP that I pulled off the website.

• Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
  • Storage temperature: -13° to 113° F (-24° to 45° C)
  • Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing
  • Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet
  • Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 feet
  • Maximum shipping altitude: 35,000 feet

My concern would be (depending on how cold it got) that condensation could form when the MBP is warming up. We all know that water and electrical current aren't the best of friends.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
pooky said:
Of course, and some days I do exactly that. Other days, I take it with me everywhere, and want to leave it out there to charge overnight. Again, there's no good place to locate the charger inside. Basically, it comes down to laziness - I don't want to have to move the charger around constantly.

How crowded could your flat be? There has to be some place you could plug it in.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
yeah no kidding, what else do you have to have to keep plugged in, the curling iron? :p

The only reason I would say dont do this, is as when my MBP gets cold, it makes the buzzing. Then when it warms up it gone.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
When my powerbook gets really cold, the speakers get very, very quiet, and sound even more tinny than they usually do. Once it warms up they go back to normal. I've left mine in the car overnight in -13 weather and it's fine.

pooky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2003
CoMpX said:
How crowded could your flat be? There has to be some place you could plug it in.

Ha ha, until you've lived with my partner, you have no idea....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.