Keeping My MBP Safe? (Physically)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AmbiguousNinja, Jun 25, 2011.

1. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Hey, I'm going to go to China in August with my MBP (I can't be without it now :D ). I have a pretty decent bag for it but I'm concerned that someone could steal it at the airport (unlikely though) or on the 13 hour flight (I'm probably going to sleep). My main concern is that I'm also going to be on a train in China where I will be sleeping. We all know that China's not exactly "safe." Do you guys have any tips/tricks/advice for me to keep my MBP safe? Thanks in advance!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Either don't bring it or sleep with it under your pillow.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd keep it in my bag when not in use and have the bag over my shoulder (diagonally across my chest) when sleeping. Have the bag itself facing towards the side of the car/plane, away from any isle.

4. AmbiguousNinja thread starter macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Haha, I AM bringing for sure, it gets really boring after a while :p As for sleeping with it under my pillow, The train is pretty rocky (stupid poor, Chinese government :( )

Thanks!

5. carinatauk macrumors newbie

6. MJNBGA macrumors regular

I'd recomend putting it underneath your shirt, and having a belt hold it. Sure it will be uncomfortable, but it's the only way. :D

7. mac00l macrumors 6502

Yes never keep your computer in a computer bag, try using a common bagpack, and if possible even get one of THESE. Better to come back with a scratched MBP, than with nothing at all right?

Bottom line is, never make it darn obvious that you are carrying a laptop.

8. MJNBGA macrumors regular

What a great idea! But a little expensive. I suppose if you need it, it's OK .It's not exactly going to compliment the MacBook's looks, but it does it's job. :)

9. thefoodie, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

thefoodie macrumors newbie

Buy a kensington lock

and tie the other end around a seat or something fixed. I agree with previous comment by MAC00l, dont put it in a laptop bag - put it in an ordinary ruck sack etc.

If you're going through India or any remote provinces, bring a powersurge guard with you. It will protect your charger/powersupply. When I was in India, a powersurge in the hotel fried my charger and ipod speaker power supply. So a lesson hard learned.

10. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

11. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Besides the tips everyone else has given you, considering buying this just incase the worst happens and someone steals your laptop: http://hiddenapp.com/

Basically, if someone steals your mac, this app will not only help locate your mbp but it will also snap pics form the isight cam so you can actually see who is using your laptop. The only downside is that I highly doubt anyone in China would make an effort to help find an american's stolen laptop. I think this app would probably be more useful in the states.

12. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I agree. I always have my computer in my regular backpack. I'm a student, so I always have a backpack with me anyways. And to protect it while it's in my backpack I have this: http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/perforated-hardshell-case-cl57467

It works really well. I enjoy it because it's perforated and still allows the MBP to breath while maintaining functionality.

13. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I have this Kensington ClickSafe lock and it's by far the best laptop lock I've ever used. Keep it handy, and lock the laptop to things nearby when needed (like the airplane seat while you sleep, as someone above mentioned).

14. ShootingStars macrumors member

LOL You know how easy it is to unscrew and take out the HD? Or even reformat it? You're wasting your money, unless the thief is total noob.

15. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i also agree with a backpack but if you have to go with a laptop bag then i would suggest something that cannot have the straps detached.

16. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Simple solution :
    1) Use a normal backpack, not a laptop bag (!!).
    2) Put a lock in the zipper.
    3) Have the bag in front of you but strapped on you.
    Something like that http://bobarno.com/thiefhunters/wp-content/uploads/backpack-front.jpg .
    No way it can be stolen unless they violently take it from you.
    Maybe a lock in the zipper seems risky (like a laptop bag, they will know you have something worthy in there), you can just zip it from a safe side (not the side with people next to it).

17. stefmesman macrumors 6502

+1 on the kensington lock, you can also attach it out of your bag through your belt or such when sleeping. or to your chair. also lock your main zippers with a lock.

18. awer25, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Many of them seem to be ;)

Plus, Hidden recommends setting up a firmware password so they can't boot using the Option key.

19. saberahul macrumors 68040

Connect the laptop lock (kingston or w.e). Loop it around so it makes a circle. Lock the lock code so no one can break it with bare hands. Buy handcuffs and cuff yourself to the loop you made.

20. ABernardoJr macrumors 6502

lol you'd be surprised at how many compliments that kind of case gets (my dad has one for his iPad)