Keeping old Safari 3 question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by g-boac, Jun 14, 2009.

1. g-boac macrumors 6502

Is there a way for me to download the new Safari 4, but keep my current Safari 3 somehow archived, if I want to go back to it?

Can I simply copy off the Safari icon in the Applications folder to an external HDD? Do I need to copy over anything else, such as Safari preference files, or anything else? And if so, where would I find these files?

thanks!!
    Mark

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No. Safari uses WebKit, which is heavily integrated into your system. However, you can roll back at any time by installing the appropriate version of Safari 3.2.3. You'll probably get an error that a newer version is installed, but installing with Pacifist should get the job done. I did this on my iBook and it worked perfectly. Just be sure to restart after the install is completed.

3. g-boac thread starter macrumors 6502

awesome!! Thanks so much for your reply!!!!

cheers,
    Mark

4. ihabime macrumors 6502

reinstalling the safari 3.23 update with Pacifist may not work. The 3.23 update only contains files that it needed to change, but the 4.0 update changes more files, so your system may be left partially downgraded.

There's a solution posted here:
    http://www.clintandrewhall.com/blog/2009/03/run-safari-3-and-safari-4-beta-on-the-same-mac/
    He created a standalone safari 3 with all the libraries internalized so it can be run without downgrading the rest of your system.