Keeping or returning the Appletv 4k

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jetjaguar, Sep 23, 2017.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Im up in the air about it honestly. I love my shield tv .. extremely powerful and flexible. I have about 240 movies in itunes but a bit more through plex. I love the HDR screensavers etc but to me the shield is a lot smoother in the UI .. the appletv seems to lag a lot when switching through the apps.

2. tomandshell macrumors regular

I’m on the fence. Many of the 4K movies I was going to watch this weekend have lost their 4K status. Mummy, five or six Bond films, Oblivion, Bourne, etc.

The inability to automatically switch video modes is a major headache. Some things don’t look as good when forced to play back at certain settings. The optimal Dolby Vision setting isn’t even available for me. I’m having trouble using my iPhone as a remote to enter text—that worked once and then stopped. Five minutes into X-Men, everything crashed and I got an “Invalid Format” error message from my TV.

I’ll give it the weekend, and then decide. But this isn’t a home run for $200.

3. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

Definitely keeping mine. I also have a Shield and will keep it as well - for now. We'll see when the ATV gets Amazon Atmos and Youtube in 4K. If it does those well, I won't really need the Shield.

4. mrrobotoplus macrumors member

i keep mine. not a fun of HDR but the picture quality is amazing, switched to 4k sdr. never seen 4k on netflix like that even on native app. upscaler is the best i ever seen. surely need an auto switch video mode option.

5. Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

I have an SDR 4K TV and I could not be happier with the purchase.