Keeping programs when downgrading from Mavericks?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by TMothy, Dec 16, 2013.

1. TMothy macrumors newbie

So when Mavericks came out I waited a few days and made sure all the major video editing programs that I use worked in the new OS. They did so I went ahead and upgraded.

What I failed to check on was whether my Sonnet Express34 to eSata card would work. And of course it doesn't. (why would it... that would be way to convenient)

I contacted Sonnet and they said the issue was only on mid 2010 models. (which is exactly what I have... perfect...:mad:)

So they said I have two options, either live without the card and use firewire 800 or downgrade back to ML.

I'd gladly go back to ML but I have a ton of small video editing related programs and plug-ins (most pre or non-app store) that would be a massive pain to have to find all the key codes and reinstall all of them again.

Here's my question, I couldn't simply make a backup either using Time Machine or cloning the drive itself, reinstall OS X and update to ML and then drag and drop all my programs back? Or would I have to reinstall every program and plug-in?

I've never had to do something like this so not sure what exactly is possible.

2. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

The best I can tell you is "depends". Many programs can be dragged back to the application folder and will recreate their plists when you run them the first time. Others need to be installed….So, drag what you can, test them, plan on installing others.

I think you'll find most can be dragged. Parallels for example cannot.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Yeah, many applications aren't drag and drop.

What about simply restoring from a ML backup to MLishness? you did make a backup, right :D ?

If not, perhaps you can migrate from Mavs to ML...although I'm not sure about this.

Too bad Sonnet couldn't tell what you'd have to downgrade in the system to get the card working again.

4. TMothy thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I don't have a backup from ML.

Could I theoretically back up where I'm at now, wipe my mac and reinstall ML, try and drag all my programs back and if everything goes to hell in a hand basket, I could always revert back to my Mavericks back up correct and be right back where I started right?

I mean I guess that's the whole point of backing up isn't it, to be able to go back to before everything went south?

5. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

sounds...problematic. many apps have files in several places (i.e. Library>Application Support), they have preference files, etc...etc.

sounds like a massive headache, only to find yourself with ML and non-working or unregistered apps... just my 2 cents...