Keeping space down while using the photos app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KTK1990, Nov 18, 2015.

1. KTK1990 macrumors 6502

I have about 60GB of photos that I have stored in the Pictures folder, there is a photos library file that is fairly large (about the same size).

Is there an easy way to free up space? I wouldn't want to have duplicate photos, or duplicate storage for each photo, but still want them organized by folder (Like, Photos>iPhone>iPhone6Plus>November2015DisneyWorldTrip>12NovMagicKingdom)

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

If you had the "Copy Items To Photos Library" option ticked in Photos Preferences>General, when you imported your photos into Photos, you can delete the photos in your Pictures Folder.

3. KTK1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I actually like having the pictures in the pictures folder and was looking to have them stored there, with the Photos library as a small file, referencing the photos in the pictures folder.

I find it easier to have them there as I can easily put photos on a usb stick and share with different operating systems.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

In that case, untick the "Copy...." option when importing. Just make sure that you don't do anything to the photos in the folder otherwise Photos won't work properly.