Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
I have about 60GB of photos that I have stored in the Pictures folder, there is a photos library file that is fairly large (about the same size).

Is there an easy way to free up space? I wouldn't want to have duplicate photos, or duplicate storage for each photo, but still want them organized by folder (Like, Photos>iPhone>iPhone6Plus>November2015DisneyWorldTrip>12NovMagicKingdom)

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
If you had the "Copy Items To Photos Library" option ticked in Photos Preferences>General, when you imported your photos into Photos, you can delete the photos in your Pictures Folder.

KTK1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
If you had the "Copy Items To Photos Library" option ticked in Photos Preferences>General, when you imported your photos into Photos, you can delete the photos in your Pictures Folder.

Thanks, I actually like having the pictures in the pictures folder and was looking to have them stored there, with the Photos library as a small file, referencing the photos in the pictures folder.

I find it easier to have them there as I can easily put photos on a usb stick and share with different operating systems.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
In that case, untick the "Copy...." option when importing. Just make sure that you don't do anything to the photos in the folder otherwise Photos won't work properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.