Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
This is creepy.

"It's a wonderful system for helping older people to stay independent as long as possible,"

Having every single thing monitored, right down to when you go drain, doesn't sound "independent" at all to me.

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
This is creepy.

Having every single thing monitored, right down to when you go drain, doesn't sound "independent" at all to me.

Beats the alternative, a nursing home. I'd be all for this if it meant I could stay at my house and die out of a medical facility.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I think this is a great thing for the elderly, as long as their private information is protected. Old folks on their own need to be looked after, it's just a fact of life. If it can be done cheaply, remotely and is proven effective, great! I would however, agree that it needs to be done openly and with the elder's permission. Consent and Privacy of Information are the only two pitfalls I see.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
This is creepy.

I believe you would think VERY differently if you had a grandparent in this situation. My grandmother was just placed into a nursing home with alzheimer's, and my grandfather refuses to go anywhere, even though he's barely mobile and recovering from quadruple bypass. If he falls, he is in trouble - BIG trouble. If this would have been an option for us, we'd have jumped in a heartbeat.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I believe you would think VERY differently if you had a grandparent in this situation. My grandmother was just placed into a nursing home with alzheimer's,

My grandmother died after nearly 20 years of suffering from Alzheimer's - but thanks anyway for playing. :mad: The family paid for an in-home caregiver for her.

And no, I don't feel any differently.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Not all families have as much money as yours does. This more inexpensive option could help a lot of people, especially with the Baby Boomers coming of age.

My family doesn't have money. My mother has a lot of brothers and sisters, they all chipped in.

In any event, your misdirected claim doesn't make me feel any less creeped out by the use of it.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
My family doesn't have money. My mother has a lot of brothers and sisters, they all chipped in.

In any event, your misdirected claim doesn't make me feel any less creeped out by the use of it.

Oh right. All elderly have lots of children that can "chip in.":rolleyes:

You've never explained why you're creeped out, so I can't address that. As for the independence claim, being monitored is not the same as being helped. I watch people do things on their own all the time. Doesn't make their tasks any less independent.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Monitoring the entire house is just a way to take people's money.

Just wire the individual for vital signs, and let them go potty in private.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Not all families have as much money as yours does. This more inexpensive option could help a lot of people, especially with the Baby Boomers coming of age.

But having a full time care giver nearly 24/7 cost an insane amount of money. Well above what most families could hope to afford and they are still monitor basicly at all times and they have less independents because they always have someone there.
With the monitor system it looks for anomolies like them leaving the house. Not sleeping regularly. If they fall ect. It lets them still be nearly fully indepedent and not have someone always there but if something happens they will be safe.
It is a much cheaper cost and less degrading to them than a nursing home.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Monitoring the entire house is just a way to take people's money.

Just wire the individual for vital signs, and let them go potty in private.

I don't think the vitals would pick up on an Alzheimer's escape attempt. Maybe an increased heart rate when they should be sleeping, but just the vitals would leave an incomplete picture.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Oh right. All elderly have lots of children that can "chip in.":rolleyes:

Not sure why you're rolling your eyes, but you're not really doing anything to convince me of anything by doing so.

You've never explained why you're creeped out, so I can't address that.

I didn't ask you to. You don't get to decide whether I'm creeped out by something.

As for the independence claim, being monitored is not the same as being helped. I watch people do things on their own all the time. Doesn't make their tasks any less independent.

It absolutely does make someone less independent. You're depending on someone to watch you take a piss, in this case. That's not living independently, IMO.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Would it be better if the assistive technology was at least Mac-based? ;)

http://web.mac.com/aeolius/house/Home.html
Okay, so I lost my bet.

That sounds like a very cool system. Have you been able to integrate an iPhone or iPod touch into it? Also seems like a mac Mini HTPC system might be in order.

Not sure why you're rolling your eyes, but you're not really doing anything to convince me of anything by doing so.

I didn't ask you to. You don't get to decide whether I'm creeped out by something.

Somebody's cranky. Maybe a monitoring system would help?

It absolutely does make someone less independent. You're depending on someone to watch you take a piss, in this case. That's not living independently, IMO.

The dependence is on making sure the person has peed, not holding the persons "equipment."

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I don't think the vitals would pick up on an Alzheimer's escape attempt. Maybe an increased heart rate when they should be sleeping, but just the vitals would leave an incomplete picture.

Then they should not be living alone. Add a GPS ankle device, and that's covered too.

The man has plenty of money. He lives (possibly alone) in a 7500 sq ft house. 7500sqft!!! That is a HUGE house. The electric bill is most likely 3x to 4x more a month than the monitoring service. It's nice for those who can afford it.

Probably true, but I just rail at these attempts to get every damn thing wired.

How soon before Government demands access to their service records??

Attachments

• big-brother-is-watching.jpg
    big-brother-is-watching.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 51

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
"They want to know if I've fallen, and where I am," he said, noting that he's fallen several times in recent years and also has a chronic heart condition and diabetes.

It's just a super advanced "Life Alert". This beats a nursing home hands down and I argue it beats a caregiver too. If you are in a nursing home someone stands in the door way to make sure you piss okay and a caregiver does the same. A dot on a computer indicating what room you are in and for how long is loads better and a lot less creepy then someone watching you pee or shower.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
As long as you're up hill from the water flow I say, why not?! :p

Well, most tubs have a sufficient angle to allow the water to flow to the drain.

Plus, peeing right on the drain saves your feet from contamination.

But, urine has been known to have curative properties, just not against hang-nail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.